The psychiatrist Viktor E. Frankl stated, “When we are no longer able to change a situation – we are challenged to change ourselves.” In reality, we can work to change both our situation and ourselves. But it’s hard to get sufficiently energized or empowered to grapple with external reality if you’re feeling depressed. Major depression can be debilitating and rob you of the motivation required to get out of bed, let alone improve the world around you. So your mental health needs to come first. It’s like the old adage about the oxygen masks on airplanes. You have to put on your own mask first before you can help anyone else.
The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX have extensive experience in diagnosing, treating, and helping to prevent depression. Thriveworks mental health providers excel in the treatment of depression because they possess both the compassion and the expertise necessary to make a genuine difference in their clients’ lives. If you are suffering and depression is preventing you from achieving your goals, put on your own oxygen mask first and call Thriveworks for support.
Can Depression Cause You to Lose Interest?
The symptoms of depression can vary from mild to acute, but one of the signs that a person is depressed is a loss of interest or pleasure in activities that the person normally enjoys. In psychiatric terms, this is called anhedonia. The Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which mental health providers often use as a guide to treating depression, lists these additional symptoms of major depressive disorder (MDD):
- A depressed mood (profound feelings of sadness and negativity) enduring longer than two weeks
- Changes in appetite, often leading to unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Extreme fatigue and exhaustion
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Problems with concentration, attention, and/or memory
- Suicidality (If you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
Because the depression counselors at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX offer highly individualized mental health care, they may note additional, non-DSM symptoms that could indicate anxiety and depression, such as the following:
- Irritability (which depressed men experience more than women)
- Substance abuse or addiction, which can be a sign that someone is having difficulty coping with distressing emotions
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Digestive problems
- Changes in libido (sex drive)
- Social isolation
- Physical aches and chronic pain
Is There a Way to Quickly Overcome Depressive Episodes?
The good news is that depression is highly treatable. The bad news is there isn’t a quick fix. Depression counseling doesn’t happen in a single session, or with a single dose of antidepressant medication. People who suffer from one episode of depression may relapse years later and experience another episode. But with exceptional therapy like the mental health services provided at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX, future episodes can be preventable.
What Are the Types of Depression?
Psychiatrists and psychologists at Thriveworks in Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX distinguish between different forms of depression. These include:
- Mild or major depression
- Manic depression (bipolar disorder)
- Postpartum depression (PPD) or perinatal depression (PND)
- Persistent depressive disorder (PDD) or dysthymia
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Situational depression
- Psychotic depression
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
Different types of depression may require different treatment plans. But the most important thing is to ask for help. Untreated depression can lead to health problems, so people should seek intervention as early as possible in the course of their mental condition.
How Can Therapy Help You Cope with Depression?
Therapy can help people with depression by giving them practical resources like coping skills. Depression counselors may use any of the following treatment approaches to assist in recovery:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy, a type of CBT
- Supportive therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Holistic remedies like meditation and progressive muscle relaxation
- Mindfulness therapy
- Family therapy or couples therapy
- Behavioral activation
- Psychiatric medications like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
Find Exceptional Depression Treatment at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX
The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX are all fully licensed and able to accept most major forms of health insurance coverage. This helps keep the premium mental health services at Thriveworks affordable to all who need them. New clients can get an appointment with a psychiatrist or another mental health provider fast, usually within 24-48 hours. That means you could meet with a depression counselor as early as tomorrow if you call today. You also get the benefit of accessing your provider by phone or email between sessions. Therapy sessions can take place online through comprehensive virtual therapy appointments, or in-person at the modern office in Little Elm.
Call the Thriveworks office today to get started on your path to depression recovery. We look forward to helping you!