The cognitive psychologist Daniel Goldstein stated, “One of the primary reasons why the human brain has evolved to look so far into the future is so that we can take actions in the present that will bring us to a better future rather than a worse one.” The human brain can imagine the future, yes, but it can also imagine the worst possible future. At this point forecasting might not be based on anything rational. It can become maladaptive. It can become acute anxiety. Anxiety can sometimes be healthy, but when fears and worries become overwhelming and interfere with regular functioning, then it may need to be managed. Fortunately, Thriveworks can help.
The anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX are recruited from the top 4% of applicants, ensuring that clients get the best possible mental health care. The mental health providers at Thriveworks treat individual people, not diagnoses. This means that therapy is compassionate, effective, and personalized to a client’s goals and wishes. If you’ve been feeling anxious, it may be time to talk to an expert.
Can I Go to a Family Doctor for Anxiety?
Many people with anxiety first present to a family doctor or even a hospital emergency room with their symptoms. This is because anxiety can sometimes cause physical symptoms like migraines, sweating, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, and digestive difficulties. People with anxiety may experience irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or another condition that calls for medical care. Or someone having a panic attack due to panic disorder may rush to the emergency room with the fear that they’re having a heart attack.
But primary care doctors are not psychological specialists. Licensed mental health providers like the team at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX have the expert knowledge to diagnose, treat, and help prevent anxiety. Thriveworks psychiatrists can prescribe anti anxiety medication to support neurochemical health. Thriveworks psychotherapists can try various types of therapy like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to reduce anxiety in the short term and long term. And Thriveworks licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) can help you and your family members find coping strategies at home.
What Are the Symptoms of Anxiety?
There are many different types of anxiety and their symptoms and treatment plans may differ. Mental health professionals may use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as a guide to treat various anxiety disorders. The symptoms for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in the DSM are as follows:
- Excessive anxiety and worry that’s difficult to control.
- The presence of three or more of the following symptoms:
- Restlessness or feeling keyed up
- Being easily fatigued
- Attention difficulties
- Muscle tension
- Sleep disturbances
- The anxiety can’t be better explained by another type of anxiety disorder like the following:
- Panic disorder and panic attacks
- Social anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Separation anxiety
- Anorexia nervosa
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- The symptoms cause significant distress or impairment
- The symptoms aren’t caused by a substance or another medical condition
What Treatments Are Best for Anxiety?
To treat anxiety disorders and other mental health conditions, the exceptional therapists at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX may use any of the following evidence-based approaches:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias of objects or situations (also called systematic desensitization)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Psychiatric medication like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Holistic treatments like meditation and deep breathing
- Relaxation techniques like progressive muscle relaxation
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
- Panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Applied relaxation training (ART)
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Substance abuse counseling
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle modifications that address nutrition and exercise
- Family therapy or couples counseling
Talk to a Premium Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX
Severe anxiety can prevent people from achieving their goals and finding joy in the moment. Anxious people might anticipate doomsday scenarios around every turn. But there’s hope.
Anxiety therapy at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX can help you get your life back. If you call the office today, you may meet with an exceptional counselor as early as tomorrow. Most new clients can be in a comprehensive therapy session within 24-48 hours. Thriveworks clients have the option of online counseling or traditional, in-person counseling at the modern office in Little Elm. Both sessions are of the same high quality. Additionally, Thriveworks clients can access their mental health provider by phone or email between therapy sessions.
Thriveworks providers are all fully licensed and at the top of their field. They accept most major forms of health insurance coverage. If clients pay out of pocket, Thriveworks offers competitive self-pay rates. Anxiety counseling can be affordable, effective, and sometimes even transformative. Call Thriveworks today to find out more about our mental health services. We can’t wait to match you to a premium anxiety therapist.