The psychiatrist M. Scott Peck said that people should share their similarities and celebrate their differences. What does this mean within the context of a romantic relationship? It means that being in love doesn’t mean you have to be exactly alike. Intimate partners can come together from different backgrounds and upbringings. They can be of different colors and cultures. They can have different communication styles and coping strategies. And these differences can make romantic love more vibrant and interesting. But what happens when people who love each other start feeling too different? Or what if they clash because they’re too similar? At this point a couples therapist can step in to help find practical solutions.
The couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX are trained to see issues from each spouse’s point of view and provide insight into relationships. Relationship counseling isn’t about assigning blame or telling people what to think, do, or feel. Working with couples means facilitating open communication that can lead to greater mutual trust and understanding.
Does Therapy Help with Relationships?
Couples counseling can lead to effective problem solving and heightened compassion for romantic partners. Most couples get positive results from relationship therapy in fewer than 12 sessions. The licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX have extensive training in interpersonal dynamics and communication. They can read between the lines and gently draw out underlying relationship issues. Relationship and marriage therapy can help advance numerous goals that might be critical to the survival of a couple, including the following:
- To feel more loved.
- To feel more appreciated.
- To model healthier relationships for children.
- To feel like friends again.
- To build trust.
- To improve communication skills.
- To reignite a spark or passion.
- To enhance physical or emotional intimacy.
- To reduce tension and conflict in the household.
- To stop repeating the same argument over and over again without advancing.
- To create healthier boundaries.
- To address blended family issues.
- To express needs and desires.
- To heal after an affair.
- To cope with empty nest syndrome.
- To identify individual mental health conditions or issues and find support.
- To safely address some concerns before marriage (in the case of pre marital counseling).
- To process trauma together.
- To cope with the loss of a loved one.
What Is the Best Marital Therapy?
Effective couples therapy treatment at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX may draw from any of the following evidence-based approaches:
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT)
- Behavioral couples therapy (BCT)
- The Gottman method
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
Relationship therapists might use games and exercises to help put couples at ease and facilitate healthy communication.
Who Sees Couples Counselors?
Even successful celebrity couples see licensed professional couples counselors. The following famous spouses have spoken up about how much marriage therapy has helped strengthen their relationships:
- Barack and Michelle Obama
- Pink and Carey Hart
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott
These are all examples of heterosexual couples, but couples counseling can also help people with different sexual orientations and gender identities. Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX has numerous LGBTQ-friendly therapists on staff to support gay, bisexual, and transgender couples.
How to Find a Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
If you’ve decided to see a couples therapist for the first time, you may be overwhelmed by all the options out there. But you can start your search with some basic criteria:
- The counselor should be fully licensed in Texas. All Thriveworks mental health providers are fully licensed in their respective states, nationwide.
- The therapist should be affordable. Thriveworks LMFTs in Little Elm, TX accept most major health insurance plans and offer competitive self-pay rates for people paying out-of-pocket. This helps keep counseling affordable to everyone who could benefit from these mental health services.
- Therapy sessions should be both convenient and comfortable. Thriveworks therapists in Little Elm, TX offer secure online counseling sessions as well as traditional, in-person counseling sessions at the modern office. Some clients even choose a hybrid session model.
See a Marriage and Relationship Professional at Thriveworks in Little Elm, TX
New Thriveworks clients can call the office in Little Elm, TX today and be seen by a fully licensed relationship counselor as early as tomorrow or the next day. First-time clients can usually see a therapist within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. In addition, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
There’s virtually no downside to couples therapy. It’s just you, talking with your loved one, trying to work through problems and reinforce your strengths under the compassionate, insightful guidance of an expert. Call Thriveworks today to get the relationship support that you and your partner need. We look forward to helping you!