The clinical psychologist and author Augustus Y. Napier describes family therapy as a crucible where families can receive the “firm external support” and discipline necessary to recognize themselves. Napier states that even when families aren’t working well and they’re unhappy, families still “count on the familiarity and predictability of their world.” So it can be painful to reorganize one’s family in therapy, and the quality of the family therapist really matters.
The family therapists at Thriveworks in League City, TX have the authority, compassion, and expertise that a third party needs to make a positive difference in the lives of family members. A family therapist’s goal isn’t to assign blame or choose sides in family conflicts. A family therapist tries to see issues from every family member’s perspective and looks for practical ways to solve problems that will satisfy all stakeholders.
What Does a Family Therapy Session Look Like?
In a family therapy session at Thriveworks in League City, TX, a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) meets with the relevant members of a family either in-person at the office, or online at a time that’s most convenient for everyone. Initial sessions usually involve icebreakers and a discussion of everyone’s ultimate goals for therapy. Additional sessions may involve discussions of the following:
- Unspoken rules and codes of behavior
- Patterns of communication
- Individual roles that everyone plays
- Implicit strengths and weaknesses
- Emotional triggers
- Group dynamics
Family therapy sessions can uncover valuable life lessons about how people relate to their family members. Through exceptional family therapy at Thriveworks, clients may learn how to do the following:
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Use neutral language
- Shed defensiveness
- Reconcile and heal
- Increase rapport
- Be emotionally vulnerable in a “safe zone”
- Reduce conflict or resolve conflict
- Forgive, or ask for forgiveness
- See each other’s points of view
- Reinforce a family’s strengths
- Manage anger
- Build trust in each other
- Manage a difficult situation
- Find mutual support for life changes
- Bring misunderstandings to light
These lessons from family therapy may seem vague on paper, but in practice these emotional resources can help family members tackle difficult and complex family problems like the following:
- Mental health disorders like depression and anxiety
- Financial stress
- Blended family issues
- Juvenile delinquency or crime
- Impending separation or divorce
- Constant conflicts
- Emotional or verbal abuse
- Chronic illness
- Caregiver burnout
- Eating disorders
- Behavioral problems (acting out)
- Substance abuse or addiction
What Does a Family Therapist Do?
A family therapist uses their psychological training and experience to help family members achieve their goals. To do this, they may use one or a variety of therapeutic approaches, including:
- Milan, which sees the body as a system guided by natural behavior
- Strategic, which attempts to examine and redirect patterns of behavior
- Structural, which considers the role each member plays in the family
- Systemic, which is rooted in family systems
- Communication theory, which strengthens the way a family communicates
- Narrative, which focuses on individuals
- Transgenerational, which looks at conflicts from a generational standpoint
A family therapist can also identify areas where individuals could benefit from additional psychological support. For example, perhaps one family member is battling clinical depression and it’s affecting the entire household. Family therapy can continue, but the depressed individual could also see a Thriveworks psychiatrist or psychotherapist for further treatment.
Support Your Family with Licensed Therapy at Thriveworks in League City, TX
The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in League City, TX are all fully licensed, highly qualified, and top-rated. They accept most major forms of health insurance and also have affordable self-pay rates. At Thriveworks, counselors believe that everyone should receive premium mental health care at reasonable prices. Thriveworks family therapists can also meet with clients either in-person at the modern office in League City, or online through secure telehealth appointments. Some clients even choose a hybrid model for sessions.
When clients enroll at Thriveworks, they receive additional benefits like email and phone access to their provider between sessions. They can also access a wealth of psychoeducational resources like e-books and videos. And they can receive expert advice from a qualified counselor anytime with Thriveworks’ Ask-a-Coach 24hr Q&A service.
When someone calls the Thriveworks office in League City, TX during extended business hours they’ll reach a human being, not a voicemail. This human resource can answer any insurance questions and match them to a family therapist who can best help them. Most clients can meet with their provider quickly, within 24-48 hours of their initial call. Clients can also book appointments online.
Show your family how much you care by talking to them about family therapy at Thriveworks. Family counseling is highly effective, solution-focused, and practical. The goal is to help everyone feel nurtured and fulfilled within the family structure. And the exceptional counselors at Thriveworks in League City, TX are the best qualified to help families achieve that goal.