Whether it was their ultimate purpose or not, happily married celebrities have helped reduce the stigma around marriage counseling and couples therapy by speaking openly about their experiences. For example, Kristen Bell has said about the imperfect start to her relationship with Dax Shepard, “We had a couple years of fighting and of growing pains and hating each other, then loving each other and going to couples therapy and we worked it out.” She said that through these formative years, she and her husband “earned each other.” And they still go to therapy regularly.
John Legend and Chrissy Teigen also have a longstanding, successful Hollywood marriage. Legend once stated, “I think every couple who has been together for a long time could use time to talk with a third party to help with whatever concerns they have.” Marriage therapy can be seen as regular maintenance for a relationship, a professional service that keeps everything running smoothly over time. Marriages aren’t cars, but they could still benefit from a qualified mechanic every now and again.
The licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) at Thriveworks in League City, TX pride themselves on helping clients achieve their relationship goals through compassionate and nonjudgmental expertise. Couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks is a safe, loving way of looking under the hood to make sure nothing needs to be tinkered with or repaired.
Does Couples Counseling Really Work?
Couples therapy and marriage counseling works for most couples in fewer than 12 therapy sessions. But every couple is different, with different relationship issues and goals for therapy. Couples counseling at Thriveworks in League City, TX can effectively address any of the following issues:
- Anger and rage
- Substance abuse
- Extramarital affairs
- Negative sexual cycles
- Serious life changes like marriage, empty nest syndrome, or bereavement
Partners may arrive at Thriveworks couples therapy with individual goals they’d like to bring up in sessions, such as:
- To feel more loved.
- To feel more appreciated.
- To model a healthier relationship for children.
- To reconnect emotionally or reignite a spark.
- To resolve conflict and stop repeating the same fight.
- To have better sex.
- To see where one partner may need additional support (perhaps through individual therapy for depression or addiction counseling).
- To learn how to express feelings and desires.
- To create a “safe zone” where partners can talk honestly.
- To stop feeling stuck or stagnant.
What Are the Types of Couples Therapy?
Couples therapists at Thriveworks in League City, TX might enlist a number of different established perspectives to help couples heal and grow. For example, marriage counseling often utilizes the following approaches:
- Emotionally-focused therapy, which looks at attachment and connection, and can help strengthen emotional bonds.
- Gottman method, which employs love maps to help couples increase their respect and admiration for each other.
- Interpersonal therapy, which looks at how relationships can affect mental health.
- Narrative therapy, which can achieve psychological insights by asking clients to tell and retell stories.
Questions for a Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
Before booking a couples therapy or marriage counseling sessions, people should consider the following criteria:
- Is the counselor fully licensed to treat clients in Texas? All the mental health providers at Thriveworks in League City, TX—and nationwide—are fully licensed.
- Can the therapist meet with you online or in-person, so sessions are both convenient and comfortable for both spouses? Thriveworks marriage counselors can meet with clients virtually through secure, video conferencing software, or in-person at the modern office in League City, TX.
- Is the couples therapist experienced in the particular issues that you and your partner face? Thriveworks marriage counselors work with a wide range of spouses and domestic partners, including LGBTQ, Christian, and engaged couples.
- Is the therapist affordable? Mental health providers at Thriveworks accept most major health insurance plans and offer affordable self-pay rates.
Reconnect with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in League City, TX
It’s not unusual for married couples to feel a diminished sense of friendship or “spark” over time. Healthy relationships require frequent check-ins and maintenance. They also require time and effort. If you and your partner love each other enough to seek marriage counseling, it’s a great sign that your partnership still has a lot of life in it.
The highly trained staff at the Thriveworks office in League City, TX can help match couples to an exceptional counselor. Most clients can meet with their provider within 24-48 hours of their initial call. As an additional enrollment benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
If you’re not sure if a Thriveworks marriage therapist will accept your health insurance, just call the League City office and our staff will help you figure it out. At Thriveworks, we believe that relationship counseling should be affordable and convenient for everyone who needs it. We look forward to hearing from you and your spouse!