What can counseling do for those who suffer with depression?
Depression counseling can help those with major depression, minor depression, postpartum depression, persistent depressive disorder, and more. The providers at Thriveworks in League City, TX will develop a unique treatment plan based on your specific experience, needs, and goals.
Is it worth going to therapy for depression?
It is absolutely worth going to therapy for depression — depression counseling helps people better manage their symptoms and get back to living happier lives again.
How does depression counseling work?
Depression counseling works by helping people pinpoint life problems, distorted thought patterns, and other causes of their depression, then process and work through them in order to mitigate the negative effects those factors have on their lives.
Signs of depression
Common signs of depression include:
- Consistent low mood
- Oversleeping or difficulty sleeping
- Changes in diet (eating much more or less)
- Withdrawal and isolation
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in previous hobbies or activities
- Excessive substance use
Is depression counseling conducted in person or online?
Thriveworks depression counseling in League City, TX is conducted both in person and online by video. We encourage you to choose the option that works best for you.
How often should you have therapy for depression?
Depression counseling can last for a few weeks, months, or longer, dependent on the severity of one's depression as well as their needs and preferences.
How much does depression counseling cost?
At Thriveworks, we take most major forms of insurance, which means that many of our clients only pay a $0-$50 co-pay per session. However, there are also self-pay options that sit around $200 per session, depending on the service and location, for those who are out-of-network.
Need more help deciding?
What Are the Basic Signs of Depression?
The basic signs of depression, as defined in the most recent version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM-5), are the following:
- A depressed affect that lasts longer than two weeks and endures for most of the day
- Changes in appetite which can involve unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down thoughts and actions)
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Anhedonia (losing interest or pleasure in activities you normally enjoy)
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Problems with focus, memory, and decision-making
- Suicidality (If you are ever considering hurting yourself or someone else, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
Depression counselors at Thriveworks in League City, TX are also on the lookout for additional criteria, such as:
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Sleeping too much or too little (insomnia)
- Changes in sex drive (libido)
- Irritability (which may indicate depression in men more than women)
- Self-medication through substance abuse or addiction
- Social avoidance and isolation
What Are the Best Treatments for Depression?
The depression counselors and psychiatric NPs at Thriveworks in League City, TX can use a multi-pronged therapeutic approach, which may include any of the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Interpersonal therapy
- Behavioral activation
- Problem-solving therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Holistic remedies like meditation and mindfulness
- Family therapy or couples therapy
- Substance abuse counseling
- Psychiatric medications
Psychiatric NPs, who are medical professionals, can give clients full evaluations to determine whether they could benefit from one of the many psychotropic drug treatments currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Get Premium Counseling for Depression at Thriveworks in League City, TX
When you call the Thriveworks office or book a session online, a depression counseling session may be scheduled as quickly as 7 days later. Sessions can take place online, via a secure telehealth connection, or in person.
All the mental health providers at Thriveworks accept most major forms of health insurance and insurance plans. Call Thriveworks today to get started on your journey toward emerging from depression.