On his solo album Imagine, John Lennon famously sang, “One thing you can’t hide/is when you’re crippled inside.” When people suffer from depression, they may lose a certain light in their eye or a spark in their spirit. They may withdraw from their loved ones. No matter how much the person tries to hide their depression, the people closest to them usually know that something is wrong, and urge them to get professional help.
And for the person suffering from depression, it can feel crippling indeed. Depression can negatively affect one’s job, one’s finances, one’s personal relationships, one’s creative life, and much more. If left untreated, it can lead to further medical problems like hypertension, substance abuse, and a weakened immune system. But fortunately, depression is very treatable.
The licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in League City, TX specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mild to major depression. They can also treat lesser-known forms of depression, such as postpartum depression, dysthymia (depression lasting longer than two years), manic depression (bipolar depression), and seasonal affective disorder (SAD). The exceptional depression therapists at Thriveworks don’t just treat a diagnosis. They treat the whole person with compassion, insight, and top-rated expertise.
What Are the Basic Signs of Having Depression?
The basic signs of depression, as defined in the most recent version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM-5), are the following:
- A depressed affect that lasts longer than two weeks and endures for most of the day
- Changes in appetite which can involve unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down thoughts and actions)
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Anhedonia (losing interest or pleasure in activities you normally enjoy)
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Problems with focus, memory, and decision-making
- Suicidality (If you are ever considering hurting yourself or someone else, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
Depression counselors, therapists, and psychiatrists at Thriveworks in League City, TX are also on the lookout for additional criteria, such as:
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Sleeping too much or too little (insomnia)
- Changes in sex drive (libido)
- Irritability (which may indicate depression in men more than women)
- Self-medication through substance abuse or addiction
- Social avoidance and isolation
How Common Is Depression in the US?
In the United States, major depression affects about 7% of the adult population–about 17 million people. Worldwide, more than 264 million people suffer from depression. It’s the leading cause of disability in the world. Numerous celebrities have spoken up about their own struggles with depression, including Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. These celebrities help pave the way for other people who need help to seek professional counseling.
The one good thing about depression being so prevalent is that so many amazing psychologists and psychiatrists have been motivated to find treatments for it. The licensed mental health providers at Thriveworks in League City, TX are no exception. Thriveworks depression counselors use numerous evidence-based approaches to treat depression in their clients.
What Are the Best Treatments for Depression?
Treatments for mood disorders can tackle genetic, environmental, psychosocial, and neurochemical reasons for depression. The depression counselors and psychiatrists at Thriveworks in League City, TX can use a multi-pronged therapeutic approach, which may include any of the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Interpersonal therapy
- Behavioral activation
- Problem-solving therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Holistic remedies like meditation and mindfulness
- Family therapy or couples therapy
- Substance abuse counseling
- Psychiatric medications
Licensed Thriveworks psychiatrists can give clients full evaluations to determine whether they could benefit from one of the many psychotropic drug treatments currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These medications include the following:
- Serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Tetracyclic antidepressants
- Serotonergic antidepressants
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) Receptor Antagonists
- Selective serotonin & norepinephrine inhibitors (SNRIs)
Get Premium Counseling for Depression at Thriveworks in League City, TX
The depression counselors at Thriveworks in League City, TX have one goal: to help their clients overcome their depression symptoms and manage their depression in the long-term. They want to help their clients achieve that objective through the best mental health care possible.
When you call the Thriveworks office or book a session online, a depression counselor can often meet with you within 24-48 hours. Sessions can take place online, via a secure telehealth connection, or in-person at the modern office in League City. Clients can choose what’s most convenient for them. As a further enrollment benefit at Thriveworks, clients can email and call their provider between sessions.
Because all the mental health providers at Thriveworks are fully licensed nationwide, they accept most major forms of health insurance. This helps make premium mental health services affordable for everyone, because everyone deserves great mental health care.
Call Thriveworks today to get started on your journey toward emerging from depression.