The writer Kahlil Gibran once stated, “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” Somehow our anxious minds can trick us into believing that if we only anticipate the worst possible outcome, it won’t actually happen. We can prevent the worst-case scenario. But a lot of what we worry about is out of our control. And expert anxiety therapists can work with people on their beliefs, emotions, and thinking patterns in order to temper their anxious symptoms.
These expert anxiety therapists can be found near you, at Thriveworks in League City, TX. Thriveworks mental health providers have extensive training and experience in diagnosing, treating, and helping to prevent anxiety disorders. They use compassion, knowledge, and psychological insight to delve into the origins of someone’s anxiety and come up with a plan for putting an end to symptoms once and for all. And they’re all fully licensed.
What Are the Different Types of Anxiety?
Anxiety comes in all shapes and sizes, from the very minor and normal worries that every human has in response to stress, to debilitating symptoms that keep people isolated and captive to their anxious behaviors. Psychiatrists, counselors, and anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in League City, TX can treat the following types of anxiety disorder:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), when overwhelming fear and worry interferes with someone’s daily functioning.
- Panic disorder, when someone experiences panic attacks during which they might believe they’re losing control or are going to die.
- Social anxiety disorder, when someone might anticipate suffering from extreme embarrassment or humiliation in public. This may cause them to avoid other people or isolate themselves completely.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), when someone might believe that doing a repeated activity (like pulling out their hair or washing and rewashing their hands) will prevent something bad from happening.
- Separation anxiety disorder, when someone experiences extreme distress at the thought of being separated from loved ones.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), when someone experiences extreme symptoms of fear and distress following a traumatic event.
- Phobias, when someone is irrationally terrified of an object or experience, like spiders or flying in planes.
Children may develop specific phobias when they are suffering from anxiety. For example, they may fear the dark or strangers.
Common Symptoms of Anxiety
Anxiety can manifest in cognition, like when someone tells themselves repeatedly that they’re going to die or their loved ones are going to die or their spouse is going to leave them or they did something wrong… (The list goes on and on.)
But the licensed anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in League City, TX are on the lookout for externalized and physical symptoms as well as cognitive symptoms. For example, anxiety can sometimes manifest in the following:
- Sleep disruptions like insomnia or nightmares
- Digestive problems, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Headaches and migraines
- Memory and focus issues
- Unintentional changes in appetite and weight
- Racing heart
- Shortness of breath
- Aches and pains
- Bedwetting (in the case of child anxiety)
- Irritability or angry outbursts
What Are the Best Anxiety Interventions at Thriveworks?
Numerous effective treatments exist for treating and preventing anxiety. One of the most researched is called cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT. CBT aims to identify and modify maladaptive thinking patterns that can lead to anxiety. For example, an anxiety therapist might ask a client what their underlying belief is when they think “Everyone hates me.” By analyzing those beliefs rationally, the therapist and client can help neutralize the anxiety.
The licensed anxiety therapists and other mental health providers at Thriveworks in League City, TX are also experienced in numerous other approaches to treating anxiety, including the following:
- Interpersonal therapy
- Exposure therapy
- Psychiatric medication like antidepressants
- Relaxation techniques like meditation and deep breathing
- Art and music therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle recommendations like increased exercise and reduced caffeine
- Family therapy or couples counseling
- Coping strategies
Call Thriveworks in League City, TX Today and Start Anxiety Therapy Tomorrow
When you call the Thriveworks office in League City, TX, or jump online to schedule an anxiety therapy appointment, you can often meet with your counselor for the first time within 24-48 hours. That quick turnaround can be a huge relief when you’re suffering from anxiety. Thriveworks anxiety therapists can also meet their clients online, not just in-person at the modern office. Virtual sessions are a convenient option, especially if your anxiety symptoms are flaring up. Other enrollment benefits include email and phone access to your licensed mental health professional between sessions, and a super flexible 23.5hr cancellation policy.
Thriveworks providers accept most forms of major health insurance, enhancing the affordability of their premium sessions. Call the office today to make your first appointment with an exceptional anxiety therapist who can change your life for the better.