Whether it’s because of a stressful project, a major life change, or even an upcoming date, everybody experiences anxiety at some point throughout their lives. Anxiety is a natural part of the human psyche. It draws our attention to potential problems and drives us to fix them.
However, you may be feeling as if anxiety is an ever-present stressor. Uncontrollable anxiety can have a profound impact on your physical and mental well-being and is worth taking seriously. Recurring anxiety can interfere with your day-to-day life. Panic attacks, feeling heightened levels of fear, or feeling like you are in constant danger could mean it’s time to seek counseling to help reduce your anxiety.
For many living with an anxiety disorder, they may understand intellectually that there is nothing to fear, yet are still unable to control how they feel. This is perfectly natural and there’s no shame in it. Whatever form your anxiety takes, you can seek treatment to help manage this stress disorder. Anxiety therapy can help teach you coping mechanisms to better manage your feelings in the future.
If you’re ready to learn the skills to cope with anxiety on a schedule that works with your lifestyle, the mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN are here to help.
What Are Common Anxiety Symptoms?
There are many types of anxiety disorders including generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, separation anxiety, and specific phobias. You may even experience more than one of these disorders in your life.
There are many different types of anxiety but here are some of the most common symptoms:
- Extensive feelings of nervousness or restlessness
- A sense of impending dread or doom
- Increased heart rate
- Sweating, trembling, or hyperventilation
- Feelings of fatigue or exhaustion
- Trouble concentrating
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Trouble sleeping
It can be hard to find peace when living with anxiety and our licensed anxiety counselors at Thriveworks in Lafayette understand that. The constant feelings of stress or fear you may be experiencing can be overwhelming, frightening, and frustrating.
If you’ve experienced one or more of these symptoms, consider speaking to one of our therapists to discuss whether anxiety counseling could be the right fit for you.
Getting Help: What to Expect From Anxiety Therapy
It can be easy to dismiss anxiety as something you should be able to handle yourself. However, anxiety counseling can empower you to better manage your anxiety now and prevent further problems in the future.
Depending on the exact nature of your anxiety, your treatment plan may vary. Your mental health professional will learn about your specific situation and find an approach that makes the most sense for you. At our Lafayette office, we typically prescribe talk therapy, medication, or some combination of both to help combat different kinds of anxiety.
Here are some of the most common types of therapy for anxiety we offer:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): Also known as CBT, cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common treatments for anxiety. For many, the struggle with anxiety centers less around what is actually happening and more around their interpretations of those events. CBT teaches our clients to understand how their thought patterns can lead to increased feelings of anxiety. With practice, you can come to replace these thoughts with more healthy and effective coping mechanisms.
- Exposure therapy: Exposure therapy is often used to treat anxiety that centers around a specific fear. This method involves the client identifying their triggers and the therapist slowly exposing them to these fears in a safe environment. This type of therapy is often coupled with relaxation techniques to gradually desensitize the client to the anxiety-inducing stimulus.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy: Sometimes, anxiety can stem from your cognitive dissonance between where you want to be in life and where you actually are. Acceptance and commitment therapy can help you identify your values and match your actions to them.
- Interpersonal therapy: Often used to treat social anxiety, interpersonal therapy explores relationships and communication. This type of therapy delves into your past and current interpersonal challenges and teaches better ways to express emotion.
Talk With a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Lafayette, IN
If you feel that anxiety is impacting your life, it may be time to speak to a professional. The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN are committed to finding a solution that works for you.
We strive to provide accommodating and accessible care to all of our clients. For your convenience, we offer evening and weekend sessions as well as online options by phone or video. We also accept many different insurance plans.
Thriveworks also offers additional client benefits, such as access to our Therapy Buddy app, community message boards moderated by mental health experts, and easy scheduling and support through the Success Navigator app. Call us and you could have an appointment in as little as 24 hours.
Anxiety may feel overwhelming but you don’t have to confront it on your own. Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN can empower you with the skills necessary to take back control of your life.