It’s natural for couples to experience ups and downs throughout the course of their relationships. But sometimes the lows can stretch on for extended periods of time. Suddenly, the relationship might change for the worse without either party being able to pinpoint when or why this happened.
You and your partner might feel that the passion that once defined your relationship has been lost over time. You might be struggling with issues of trust, infidelity, or substance abuse. You may feel like something needs to be done but are unsure how to move forward.
Couples therapy and marriage counseling are powerful tools for couples who want to gain insight, avoid divorce or separation, or strengthen a marriage. Even in a healthy relationship, counseling can offer a valuable way of opening up channels of communication that may have been otherwise overlooked.
The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN provide the opportunity for couples to seek healing and fulfillment in their relationships.
Common Reasons to Seek Out Relationship Counseling
Every relationship is different and it may be difficult to identify the “right” time for any individual couple to seek counseling. There are a number of common reasons people seek out a couples therapist, including:
- Your communication has deteriorated, resulting in frequent arguments with no resolution
- You or your partner become withdrawn and uninterested in interacting with the other
- You have problems with intimacy or incompatible sex drives
- You disagree with your partner over financial issues
- You find yourself getting stuck in recurring arguments
- Stress over external responsibilities has strained your relationship
- Raising children together has been challenging
- You or your partner have experienced trauma or loss
- You or your partner are struggling with substance abuse
If you are experiencing any of these issues, a marriage and family therapist at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN can help you repair your relationship before it’s too late.
How Does Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling Work?
Seeking out couples therapy is a sign that you and your partner acknowledge the issues in your relationship and are committed to working through them. One of our licensed couples counselors will be able to work with you to set goals and help you learn more about what might be simmering under the surface of your relationship.
There are common avenues that a couples therapist might take to help you and your partner heal and thrive. However, each counseling session may differ depending on the people and problems involved.
Turning to a couples counselor at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN means building a safe environment for you and your partner to open up about your feelings. Starting therapy can feel intimidating but our therapists provide an objective perspective to guide couples toward a greater understanding of each other and their relationship. They can help you develop goals, learn positive communication methods, and rebuild trust and intimacy in your relationship.
Counselors are trained to explore different avenues of therapy and find one that best fits the relationship in question. Some of these options include:
- The Gottman Method, which is built on the premise that all relationships have unresolved conflicts and that positive communication is the best way to work through them.
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT), a less structured approach that focuses on building a bond of emotional safety between partners.
- Imago Relationship Therapy, which seeks to transform conflicts into opportunities of growth and healing.
- Solution-focused therapy, which centers in on a particular problem and works a couple through the steps to fix it.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which identifies patterns of negative thinking and strives to balance or change them.
Couples and Family Therapy Appointments at Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN
Your relationship is important and like anything else in life, is at its best when you dedicate yourself to improving it. If you’re interested in exploring ways to build your relationship, consider making an appointment with Thriveworks in Lafayette, IN. You can be seen in as little as 24 hours.
We offer flexible options for couples and marriage counseling, including weekend and evening sessions and virtual counseling by phone or video. We also maintain client communication through email and phone in between appointments.
Our benefits are tailored to meet your needs, and we accept many different insurance plans. Benefits include 24-hour “Ask-a-coach” Q&A, community discussions, and exclusive client videos.
Schedule a couples counseling appointment today to foster a happy and healthy relationship.