Kelsie and her brother David haven’t been able to see eye to eye for years. Each time that they’re around one another, they manage to get into a debate over money, politics, or the way that their kids behave. It’s been tough for the rest of their relatives to be around, and it’s been hard on Kelsie and David, too. Both of them always talk about getting past their tendency to bicker, but inevitably, they fall back into the same pattern of arguing.
But this year, Kelsie’s decided that she and David need to work past their differences. That’s why Kelsie wants to talk with a family therapist with her brother—to get a professional’s assistance with the divide that separates them. Kelsie hopes that she can work together with a professional to reconnect with David, and she hopes he’ll be willing to do the same.
For many of us, family life can be difficult to navigate. It’s important to stop negative dynamics and actions before they start to damage relationships. And at Thriveworks in Joliet, IL, our family counselors can help you and your relatives to find common ground again, and to enjoy healthier methods of communication.
Should Your Family See a Family Counselor?
Families are a source of companionship and support, as well as comfort and respect. However, when these close relationships turn sour, boundaries of respect and healthy communication can be crossed. Still, there’s no universal method for determining if your family needs relationship counseling, but some common signs and warnings include:
- Stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- One or more family members struggling with PTSD
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
It’s also common for one or many family members to feel resistant or hostile towards the possibility of connecting with a family counselor. Common fears include being ostracized from other relatives by the counselor, or that the counselor will choose sides or chastise them for their shortcomings. The reality is that our mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Joliet, IL aren’t going to judge you or try to divide you all. Instead, their interests are to highlight the positive aspects of your relationships by helping you work through negative situations. Teaming up with a family counselor can be a great way to:
- Strengthen your relationship with your loved ones by utilizing a safe space for each of you to speak candidly about your experience
- Foster compassion and encourage compromise toward one another
- Improve your communication skills and become a better listener
- Create stronger boundaries of respect and encourage compromise
- Get treatment for previously undiagnosed mental illness
Take advantage of a counselor’s presence. A neutral third party allows for more balanced dialogue and candid discussion between family members. Our family therapists at THriveworks in Joliet, IL are here to help you.
Schedule a Family Therapy Session Today at Thriveworks in Joliet, IL
We understand that you might still feel uncertain about talking with a family counselor about your private family life. But rest assured, their number one goal is promoting better mental health for you and your family. Plus, our family counseling services are also available virtually. If you and your family members are separated by distance, come together as a group for online counseling with your provider.
As long as everyone has reliable internet and somewhere private to attend the session, you’re set. And, you can attend counseling at ease, knowing that your personal information will be kept confidential—online counseling still follows the same strict guidelines from the APA and HIPAA as our in-person sessions.
So, give us a call to enroll when you and your relatives are ready. When you do, you’ll be assisted in every step of the process by our scheduling specialists, standing by seven days a week. With their help, you can easily set up your insurance to cover costs, find a provider (even if there’s no one local), and find the perfect session time to fit everyone’s schedule. Enrolling also gives you access to:
- Our Q&A with Thriveworks life coaches
- Access to our ebook, “Leaving Depression Behind” and other valuable electronic resources
- Some weekend and evening availability usually not offered by other providers
- Ability to email your counselor in-between appointments as needed
- No waitlist
- 23.5 hr cancellations
Hostility, resentment, and anxiety don’t need to rule the interactions between you and your loved ones. Call Thriveworks in Joliet, IL. One of our family counselors is waiting, and with their support, your family can enjoy healthier relationships and better mental health.