All relationships require maintenance and care, and familial relationships are no different. Family systems are composed of unique individuals with unique personalities, thoughts, and ideas. The way each person communicates and expresses themselves is not always easy for other members of the family to understand, and complications can arise when communication breaks down.
Consider the scenarios that follow:
- Two siblings are far apart in age and bicker constantly over the room they share. The younger brother likes to play with loud toys in the evening during the time the older sister likes to study. Space is an issue in their two-bedroom apartment, and the parents just can’t seem to come to an agreement on how to help both kids get what they need.
- In a two-parent household, one parent loses their job in a struggling industry a year after the family moves into an expensive new home a few counties away from their previous community. The parents don’t know how to tell their children that they may have to move again just as they’ve finally settled into their new environment.
- The eldest son in a family of five often has panic attacks that can last from several seconds to several minutes. It’s been this way for over three months now, but he refuses to tell his parents what’s wrong. They suspect that something has happened at school, but they don’t know how to broach the subject without upsetting their child.
In each of the above scenarios, a family is undergoing a difficult challenge that leads to a breakdown in communication. While every family faces problems now and again, some difficulties may require outside assistance.
Marriage and family therapy can help you and your loved ones find solid footing. It’s designed to address the needs of the family unit, open the doors of communication, and provide a dedicated space to air concerns and grievances and find solutions.
Consider reaching out to us at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL, if you believe your family could use guidance and support. Our professional counselors and family therapists are waiting to assist you.
Who Is Family Counseling Right For?
Anyone seeking to maintain a healthy family relationship should consider family counseling. Therapy is not just helpful for tackling current problems. It can also mitigate future complications and provide the tools you need to successfully navigate difficult discussions, promote open conversation, and encourage general well-being.
Families ultimately pursue therapy for different reasons. Some of the most common reasons for reaching out to a mental health professional include:
- Financial changes or difficulties
- Behavioral problems
- Separation and divorce
- Mental and physical illnesses
- Major life changes
- Substance abuse
- Communication problems
- Differences in parenting styles
- Grief and loss
Whether you’re searching for preventative care or looking to address a specific issue, consider contacting a professional for help. We would love to speak with you here at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL.
What Can I Expect During Family Therapy?
If you’re considering seeing a therapist or counselor, you’re already on the path to strengthening or repairing your family’s relationships. Maintaining family systems takes work, and that work does not have to be done alone.
Family counseling serves many purposes but it is particularly useful for people with relationship issues. Your therapist or counselor will assess, diagnose, and treat your specific concerns based on your family’s needs and goals.
Some common family therapy techniques include:
- Encouraging active listening and effective communication
- Promoting problem-solving skills
- Addressing roles and family structure
- Reinforcing behavioral expectations
- Setting healthy boundaries
Your provider may use behavioral, psychodynamic, or other therapy techniques to provide care to you and your relatives. If you believe seeing a professional could help you resolve or mitigate the challenges you and your family are facing, please reach out to us at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL.
Plan a Family Therapy Session With Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL
Every family has its conflicts. It’s common to feel frustrated, flustered, and confused when navigating relationships, and it’s normal to want to improve those relationships.
At Thriveworks, we know that whole health means addressing the individual concerns of the entire family, and we’re dedicated to strengthening your family’s relationships.
It can be challenging to coordinate multiple family members’ schedules. That’s why we offer both in-person and online counseling services with weekday, weekend, and evening sessions for your convenience. You can also access your provider in between sessions by phone or email.
We accept many different types of insurance plans and clients get access to a 24-hour online life coach and our counselor-moderated community discussion board. And because we know that things pop up when accommodating multiple schedules, we offer a flexible, 23.5-hour cancellation policy.
Your family is important to us. When you’re ready to reach out, we’re ready to help. Contact us today at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL.