How does prioritizing your relationship look from day to day? It might look like physical affection, attention, or honest communication. Every couple is different, and individuals within the same partnership may speak different “love languages.” But the important thing is that couples keep the lines of communication open so they can routinely check in with each other about what’s working and what isn’t. Sometimes those conversations can be difficult, and that’s where couples counseling can help.
Couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA is a way to facilitate effective communication between people who love each other but who might be hitting roadblocks. Many couples come to relationship counseling as a last resort, when they’re in crisis, for example. But couples counseling doesn’t have to be that way. It can also be an effective way of maintaining intimate bonds and preventing upsets in the future.
What Is Couples Therapy? What Is Marriage Counseling?
Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) are trained to help couples find solutions to their issues using evidence-based, proven-effective methods. At Thriveworks in Dacula, GA, our mental health professionals use a variety of relationship therapy techniques like reflective listening and emotionally focused therapy to help clients achieve their goals. These goals might include the following:
- To feel more loved and appreciated.
- To model a healthier relationship for children.
- To reconnect.
- To feel like friends again.
- To feel passion.
- To have more physical intimacy.
- To reduce tension and conflict.
- To stop having the same fight.
- To create healthier boundaries.
- To honestly express needs and desires.
- To heal after an affair.
- To cope with empty nest syndrome.
- To get support for someone’s mental health or behavioral issues like substance abuse, anxiety, or depression.
- To address issues or concerns before marriage (in the case of premarital counseling).
- To process trauma.
- To cope together with grief.
Do I Need Relationship Counseling?
The best question isn’t “Do I need relationship counseling?” but “Can I benefit from relationship counseling?” The answer is… yes, everyone can.
Couples therapy is highly individualistic. Great counselors address every couple’s particular needs, meaning that treatment is geared toward specific, real, personally meaningful concerns.
A couple doesn’t need to be falling apart at the seams to benefit from relationship counseling. Many celebrities with successful, enduring relationships see marriage counselors regularly for maintenance of their partnership. For example:
- Dax Shephard and Kristen Bell
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Gabrielle Union-Wade and Dwyane Wade
- Pink and Carey Hart
At Thriveworks Dacula, relationship counselors can help couples work to improve the following, and much more:
- Communication skills
- Mutual trust
- Displays of affection
- Emotional regulation
- Addiction or substance abuse issues
- Sexual cycles
Relationship issues don’t have to be dire to merit the attention and expertise of a qualified professional. Therapists can help resolve conflicts before they happen by helping clients recognize their emotional triggers.
What Is the Best Approach to Marriage Counseling?
There is no “one-size-fits-all” best approach to marriage counseling. When working with couples, the specialists at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA may use one or a combination of the following therapeutic approaches:
- Gottman method
- Narrative therapy
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT)
- Imago relationship therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
How to Find Couples Counseling Near Me
When choosing a great couples counselor, it’s important to keep in mind some basic criteria:
- The counselor should be fully licensed or working toward their licensure in Georgia. (All Thriveworks mental health providers are licensed or obtaining their license under the supervision of a licensed professional).
- The therapist’s services should be within your price range. (Thriveworks marriage and family therapists in Dacula, GA accept most major health insurance plans and offer self-pay rates.)
- The therapist’s sessions should be convenient and comfortable. (Thriveworks offers online counseling and in-person therapy sessions, both of the same quality. Clients can choose whatever approach to therapy works the best for them. Some clients even choose a hybrid model.)
Relationship Counseling in Dacula, GA: Thriveworks Marriage and Couples Therapy
Marriage counseling at Thriveworks Dacula can be a great, effective way to reconnect with your spouse and rediscover why you fell in love in the first place. It can also give couples the tools they need to maintain their bonds in the long-term.
Scheduling a session is as easy as going online and using our online booking tool, though you can also call the Thriveworks office to speak to a helpful scheduling specialist. Other unique Thriveworks benefits include:
- Accepting most major forms of insurance, giving you affordable access to care
- Offering both online and in-person session, so that you have the convenient mental health care you deserve
- Providing our clients with evidence-based therapy and psychiatry from expert mental health professionals
Go online and book a session with Thriveworks today or call us for scheduling assistance. We look forward to helping you and your loved one!