The author H. Jackson Brown, Jr. once stated, “Remember that creating a successful marriage is like farming: you have to start over again every morning.” You might not have to wake up at 4am and put on overalls to be a good partner, but you do have to put in some work. That means that maintaining the health of your relationship should be a priority.
How does prioritizing your relationship look from day to day? It might look like physical affection, attention, or honest communication. Every couple is different and individuals within the same partnership may speak different “love languages.” But the important thing is that couples keep the lines of communication open so they can routinely check in with each other about what’s working and what isn’t. Sometimes those conversations can be difficult, and that’s where couples counseling can help.
Couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA is a way to facilitate effective communication between people who love each other but who might be hitting roadblocks. Many couples come to relationship counseling as a last resort, when they’re in crisis, for example. But couples counseling doesn’t have to be that way. It can also be an effective way of maintaining intimate bonds and preventing upsets in the future.
Does Couples Counseling Really Work?
Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) are trained to help couples find solutions to their issues using evidence-based, proven-effective methods. At Thriveworks in Dacula, GA, licensed professionals use a variety of relationship therapy techniques like reflective listening and emotionally focused therapy to help clients achieve their goals. These goals might include the following:
- To feel more loved and appreciated.
- To model a healthier relationship for children.
- To reconnect.
- To feel like friends again.
- To feel passion.
- To have more physical intimacy.
- To reduce tension and conflict.
- To stop having the same fight.
- To create healthier boundaries.
- To honestly express needs and desires.
- To heal after an affair.
- To cope with empty nest syndrome.
- To get support for someone’s mental health or behavioral issue like substance abuse, anxiety, or depression.
- To address issues or concerns before marriage (in the case of premarital counseling).
- To process trauma.
- To cope together with grief.
Who Needs Marriage Counseling?
The best question isn’t “Who needs marriage counseling?” but “Who can benefit from relationship counseling?” And the answer is…everyone. Couples therapy is highly individualistic. Great counselors address every couple’s particular needs, meaning that treatment is geared toward specific, real, personally meaningful concerns. And a couple doesn’t need to be falling apart at the seams to benefit from relationship counseling. Many celebrities with successful, enduring relationships see marriage counselors regularly for maintenance of their partnership. For example:
- Dax Shephard and Kristen Bell
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Gabrielle Union-Wade and Dwyane Wade
- Pink and Carey Hart
At Thriveworks in Dacula, GA, relationship counselors can help couples work to improve the following, and much more:
- Communication skills
- Mutual trust
- Displays of affection
- Emotional regulation
- Addiction or substance abuse issues
- Sexual cycles
Relationship issues don’t have to be dire to merit the attention and expertise of a qualified professional. Therapists can help resolve conflicts before they happen by helping clients recognize their emotional triggers.
What Is the Best Approach to Marriage Counseling?
There is no one-size-fits-all best approach to marriage counseling. When working with couples, the specialists at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA may use one or a combination of the following therapeutic approaches:
- Gottman method
- Narrative therapy
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT)
- Imago relationship therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
Finding a Good Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
When choosing a great couples therapist, it’s important to keep in mind some basic criteria:
- The counselor should be fully licensed in Georgia. (All Thriveworks mental health providers are fully licensed).
- The therapist’s services should be within your price range. (Thriveworks marriage and family therapists in Dacula, GA accept most major health insurance plans and offer affordable self-pay rates.)
- The therapist’s sessions should be convenient and comfortable. (Thriveworks offers online counseling sessions and in-person therapy sessions, both of the same quality. Clients can choose whatever approach to therapy works the best for them. Some clients even choose a hybrid model.)
Renew Your Bonds with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA
Marriage counseling at Thriveworks in Dacula, GA can be a great, effective way to reconnect with your spouse and rediscover why you fell in love in the first place. It can also give couples the tools they need to maintain their bonds over the long-term.
When you call the Thriveworks office in Dacula, GA, a staff member can connect you right away to a therapist who can help you and your intimate partner. Most clients can meet with their counselor within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. They can also reach out to their provider between sessions via phone or email.
Call Thriveworks today to get started. We look forward to helping you and your loved one!