The writer Natalie Goldberg once wrote, “Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency.” Someone with severe anxiety might experience the same levels of distress over misplacing their keys as someone without anxiety might have about walking a tightrope over Niagara Falls. We all have different levels of fight-or-flight responses to situations. What causes one person to shrug their shoulders may cause a panic attack in another person. And those panicked, anxious feelings can interfere with one’s daily life and sense of well-being.
Anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX can help people who suffer from anxiety disorder and panic disorder by calming the mind and body with evidence-based therapeutic treatments. Our anxiety counselors have vast experience treating all kinds of anxiety, including social anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), and the depression that is often affiliated with anxiety. If you need compassionate, expert support, the licenced anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX are here to help.
Who Experiences Anxiety?
Almost one in five American adults has an anxiety disorder. That’s a lot of people–over 40 million. And that number doesn’t include children, who are diagnosed more and more with mental health conditions. Even celebrities like the following have experienced acute anxiety:
- Kendall Jenner, panic attacks
- Naomi Osaka, social anxiety and depression
- Marcus Morris, anxiety and depression
- Lena Dunham, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Ariana Grande, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Amanda Seyfried, panic attacks
- Miley Cyrus, panic attacks
- Big Sean, anxiety
Being rich and famous doesn’t protect you from mental health issues. Some celebrities feel more anxious because they feel like they’re under a microscope. Everyone has different triggers for anxiety, and a professional anxiety therapist at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX can help you unravel the origins of the condition. Together you can figure out how to overcome your symptoms and lead a more relaxed, fulfilling life.
How Do I Know If I Have an Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety disorders can manifest in a variety of psychological and physical ways. You may find yourself fixating on one worry, or worrying about a lot of things. You may fear that you’re sick with a deadly disease without having a rational basis for that belief (hypochondria). You may find that your mind always seems to buzz with disturbing questions like “Am I going to die?” or “Are my loved ones going to die?”
When people first visit a licensed therapist for anxiety at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX, they may be suffering from any of the following symptoms:
- Sleep disruptions like insomnia or nightmares
- Appetite issues
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Memory or focus issues
- Racing heart
- Overwhelming concerns
- Obsessive behaviors
Fortunately, the mental health providers at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX know how to evaluate your symptoms and diagnose an anxiety disorder. Then effective treatment can begin.
What Are the Most Effective Treatments for Anxiety?
Anxiety is a highly treatable condition when you’re under the care of a top-rated mental health professional like a licensed anxiety therapist at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX. Our therapists may use one approach to treatment, or a hybrid model that incorporates any of the following empirically-proven and evidence-based therapeutic methods:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Exposure therapy, especially for phobias
- Psychiatric medication like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Meditation and deep breathing
- Art and music therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle modifications (diet and exercise improvements)
- Family therapy or couples counseling
- Solution-focused coping strategies
- Substance abuse counseling
- Family or couples therapy
- Depression therapy (if someone has simultaneous depression)
What Should I Do If I Have a Panic Attack? And How Can I Prevent a Panic Attack?
To prevent a panic attack, it helps to know what your triggers are so you’ll be mentally prepared. But panic attacks can happen out of the blue. They can even happen when you’re sleeping. An anxiety therapist at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX can work with a client to find effective strategies for preventing panic attacks. Prevention strategies may include lifestyle modifications like increasing your exercise or cutting back on caffeine. But if you do find yourself having a panic attack, you can try the following options.
- Regulate your breathing. Slowing down and deepening your breathing can send a physiological signal to your brain that you’re alive and you’re going to be okay.
- Focus on something concrete, like an image or an object, during the attack.
- Repeat a mantra like “You are safe” or “This will pass”.
- Focus on your physical senses. What do you smell? What do you hear? This can gently anchor you to your surroundings when you’re feeling unmoored.
Start Your Relationship with a Licensed Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks in Corpus Christi, TX
When you call the Thriveworks office in Corpus Christi, TX, our trained staff can usually get you in to see a top-rated anxiety therapist within 24-48 hours. That’s an extremely fast turnaround time for such an in-demand specialist. Additionally, you won’t have to sit around waiting before your session. Over 97% of Thriveworks appointments begin on time or early.
Call today to find out more about Thriveworks’ exclusive benefits. We can’t wait to help you meet your mental health goals.