We all have different ways of thinking — it’s one of the things that makes us all unique. These thoughts shape how we view the world and relate to the people around us. But for some people, thoughts and emotions can be particularly difficult to control.
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental disorder that usually appears during adolescence or early adulthood and can continue into a person’s adult life. People with BPD experience extreme mood swings, unstable relationships, and difficulty controlling their emotional state. Someone with BPD might act impulsively and engage in risky behaviors.
Borderline personality disorder can introduce instability into your life and make it harder to build relationships with others. Thankfully, the disorder can be treated by working with a licensed mental health professional.
Therapists, counselors, and psychiatrists from Thriveworks Counseling in Asheville, NC have the skills and training to help people manage their borderline personality disorder. Call us today to schedule your first appointment.
Do I Have Borderline Personality Disorder? Signs and Symptoms
There can be many factors that contribute to borderline personality disorder, including genetics, environmental stressors, trauma, and abuse. And while BPD symptoms can vary from person to person, some common signs include:
- Distorted or unstable self-image
- Self-harming behaviors
- Feeling empty
- Intense emotions
- Mood swings
- Unstable relationships with others
- Difficulty trusting other people
- Fear of real or imagined abandonment
Not everyone with borderline personality disorder will experience all of these symptoms. Some people might only feel a few of these symptoms while others may feel just one or two. Symptoms can also range in severity from mild to moderate to severe.
Borderline personality disorder can be distressing but we want you to know that treatment is available. Call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Asheville, NC to schedule your first session.
Borderline Personality Disorder: Common Therapeutic Treatments
Experienced mental health professionals have the skills and training to diagnose and treat symptoms of BPD. A couple of the most common types of psychotherapy used to help people manage their BPD include:
- Transference-focused therapy: This is a type of structured psychotherapy that helps people understand their emotional state by examining their interactions with their therapist. The client “transfers” their emotions onto their therapist or counselor and reacts to them as they would in their everyday life. This process allows your therapist or counselor to understand how you interact with others and use this information to help you build coping skills and healthier relationships.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): This is a type of talk therapy that was developed to specifically treat borderline personality therapy, though it is now used for other disorders as well. DBT focuses on helping people learn valuable emotional regulation and mindfulness skills. You might participate in group-based or individual therapy sessions to learn how to manage emotions and interact with others in a more positive, healthier way.
Borderline personality disorder often occurs alongside other mental illnesses like anxiety and depression. While there isn’t a medication that exists that can treat BPD directly, some prescription medications can reduce the symptoms of its concurrent disorders. With these symptoms in check, it can become easier for someone to manage their BPD.
Do you want to work with a therapist or counselor to diagnose or treat your BPD? Call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Asheville, NC to set up your first appointment.
Borderline Personality Disorder Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks in Asheville, NC
Are you living with symptoms of borderline personality disorder? Call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Asheville, NC. Our team can schedule an appointment for you with one of our compassionate mental health professionals.
Life can be hectic, and we want to provide the most convenient, flexible mental health counseling possible. We offer extended hours — you can work with a licensed mental health professional in an evening or weekend session. We also offer online appointment options so you can get the care you’re looking for without having to step outside your home.
This flexibility makes it incredibly easy to schedule an appointment. Some of our new clients can even have their first session within a day or two after scheduling. We accept most major health insurance plans to help our clients afford mental health services. Check with your insurance provider before you call to see if your plan includes mental health coverage.
Working with a mental health professional can help you manage your BPD and live a happier, calmer life. Call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Asheville, NC today to get started. We can’t wait to help you thrive.