Depression Therapy in West Springfield, MA: Help for Brighter Days
Everybody deals with sadness at different points in life. Many factors can lead to feelings of despair, from relationships, to work and career issues, or crisis such as the loss of a loved one. Sometimes it’s not an identifiable situation at all that leads to these feelings and often they go away with time and help from loved ones. But what happens when they don’t? What do you do when you feel like you have nowhere to turn or when you feel like giving up? Depression is a serious mental health issue affecting millions of people all the time, but it is possible to overcome. If you think you may be affected by this illness it is important to know there is someone you can talk to. Depression therapists, counselors, and psychologists in West Springfield are experienced with many aspects of depression and are available to help with your own individual obstacles.
It’s not always clear what causes depression but there are many signs and symptoms to be aware of. Whether you are looking for a mental health professional to talk to online or in person, many care options are available. Overcoming sadness and managing depression may feel like an uphill battle now. Putting off getting help can happen for many reasons and seeking a therapist often feels overwhelming and exhausting, especially when trying to cope with the symptoms caused by depression. But happiness and brighter days are possible, and our counselors and therapists want to help you get through it!
If you or a loved one might be depressed, reaching out to a depression therapist may be the difference between life and death. Often it feels impossible to overcome but therapy for depression can provide you with the tools you need to better manage your symptoms and effectively treat your depression. You can live the life you want.
What Is Depression?
Also called major depressive disorder or clinical depression, it is a mood disorder that affects how your emotions, thoughts and behavior. Depression can be mild or come on in waves of intensity, but most often, it causes a persistent feeling of sadness that leads to an inability to engage in activities that were once pleasurable.
Depression is a serious issue. But it is manageable, and with help, it is possible to overcome. You don’t have to battle this alone. Professional, caring counselors and therapists have experience with a wide range of symptoms and effects of depression and are available to help you.
Some common symptoms are:
- Changes in sleep patterns: increased tiredness, restlessness, lack of energy and irregular sleeping habits such as insomnia or trouble waking up, or overwhelming exhaustion resulting from daily tasks
- Changes in weight: reduced or increased appetite, weight loss or weight gain, disinterest in food and eating
- Feelings of sadness and guilt: persistent feelings of worthlessness, guilt, regret, loneliness and despair
- Anger and Irritability: violent outbursts, frustration, agitation or increased anxiety leading to aggression
- Suicidal thoughts: frequent or recurrent thoughts about death, disinterest in life, or suicide attempts
- Loss of interest: indifference to activities you normally enjoy such as social events, hobbies, or sex
- Trouble with concentration: memory, decision making, ability to stay focused
- Unexplained physical pain: physical pain and medical issues can be attributed to depression
Understanding the signs is an important first step in defeating your depression. If you can relate to any of the above symptoms or are experiencing others it is a good idea to reach out to a professional therapist or psychologist. Seeking treatment for depression is never easy, especially because the symptoms themselves make taking action especially difficult. Our counselors understand this and are here for you and want to make it easier. Please give us a call if you are in need.
What Can You Expect from A Session with A Depression Therapist?
Defeating your depression is the goal of our counselors and therapists at Thriveworks West Springfield. By utilizing their extensive training, education, and experience they will work with you to come up with a treatment plan that addresses your specific need while helping you to feel comfortable and safe.
Whether you choose to see your therapist online or in-person, some things you may discuss in a session include:
- The root cause of your depression: Often times this is hard to identify. Depression may be brought on by one or a series of life events. It may be the result of other mental health issues such as Bipolar disorders, ADHD, Autism Spectrum disorder, Premenstrual or Postpartum depression disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), physical health issues, or it may be something else entirely. Your therapist will help you to identify the factors that are contributing to your depression so you can deal with them together.
- Coping strategies: Once you can identify your symptoms and possible causes it is important to have the tools to manage them. Your therapist may use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help you recognize and change negative behaviors and thoughts, alternative therapies such as animal or art therapy, and will help you understand medication options when needed. They will help you to understand your triggers so that you can gain control of their effects.
- Environmental changes: Sometimes there are outside factors contributing to depression. It can be hard to make big changes on your own and your therapist will be able to help you identify this and provide support through the process. Even small changes can feel overwhelming at times.
A depression counselor will help you develop tools so you can recognize your stressors, better manage the symptoms, and ultimately improve your mental health wellbeing!
Start a Relationship with a Depression Therapist at Thriveworks in West Springfield, MA
If you think you may be suffering from depression and would like to explore the benefits of professional help with our counselors, we would love to hear from you! The first step is often the most difficult and we understand this. That’s why we do our best to make starting a relationship with a counselor easy and as stress free as possible!
We offer flexible scheduling options with many available appointment times. From telehealth therapy, where you can access your therapist from your own home, to in person and face-to-face counseling. There is no waitlist so you will be able to speak with a counselor as soon as you need to. We accept many insurances and will work with you if finances are an issue.
You can call us or book your appointment online. Taking your mental health seriously and getting the care you need is so important. We are here for you and looking forward to helping you achieve the goal of happiness!