Family Therapy in West Springfield, MA: Help for you and your loved ones
Do you find yourself saying, “I wish my parents would listen to me more,” or, “I wish I could communicate with my child in ways they will understand”? Are you feeling isolated, and alone in your home life or at your wit’s end trying to control a seemingly unmanageable situation? Well, you are not alone. Family issues, when not addressed, can turn into major rifts that affect the whole family. Miscommunications can have negative effects on our closest relationships and the ones we love most, leaving us feeling disconnected, isolated, and furthering our inability to listening to and support one another.
The greatest thing in family life is to take a hint when a hint is intended—and not to take a hint when a hint is not intended.”
Outside factors have certainly contributed to trying times for many families. Many folks have been tested in new ways due to social distancing and new social guidelines. Homeschooling, working from home, and new remote social activities are among the many adjustments that families are navigating together. Living in close quarters with family for an extended time can be difficult even in the best of circumstances. You and your family may be engaged in more fights and verbal arguments. When money and resources are stretched thin the resulting worry can cause very real trauma and depression. Many families have lost loved ones and are not only coping with grief but also with the pain of not being able to mourn with family due to the nature of the pandemic. Disagreements with family members and relatives may be rampant and wear you down. These are intricate social concerns with nuanced solutions that are valid and worth addressing.
Every family unit is unique. Individuals within a family are also unique. It is natural for family members not to see eye-to-eye. Family counseling with a trained professional will help your family navigate challenges by learning specific communication skills and tools. Mental health professionals are trained to help your family accomplish meaningful goals. If you would like to learn more about options for your family don’t hesitate to reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in West Springfield. Help is not far away!
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy, also referred to as family counseling, helps family members resolve their conflicts and deepen their meaningful connections. It is often a type of short-term therapy that can last for a few therapy sessions, but an extended number of sessions are always helpful depending on your family’s needs. The main objective is to help you and your loved ones identify and resolve issues and strengthen communication in order to maintain healthy and fulfilled relationships at home and elsewhere.
Your family therapists’ methods and techniques may include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy;
- Interpersonal Therapy; or
- Family Systems Therapy.
- Techniques used in Individual Therapy may also be implemented in family sessions.
These methods may vary depending on family members and progress. Therapists and counselors will meet with each family member individually to understand their unique problems and obstacles. Our licensed mental health professional will identify where relationships can evolve and mend by creating a treatment for your specific and unique needs and goals.
What Kinds of Issues Does Family Therapy and Counseling Address?
Every family has its own unique issues and obstacles to overcome. Families are defined by many parameters and have varying definitions, but a common denominator is a need for understanding, communication, support, and love. At times this can feel like an almost impossible feat to accomplish. We tend to brush off problems by telling ourselves “we fight like every other family” or “this issue will work itself out with time.” While this may be true, some family dynamics deserve more attention, like the kind that a professional therapist or counselor can offer.
Family therapy and counseling can help with a myriad of issues including but not limited to:
- Understanding independence and rebellious behavior in teens and adolescents
- Overcoming child and teen behavioral problems
- Resolving conflicts related to parenting styles
- Recognizing and getting help for domestic violence
- Coping with mental illness, depression and anxiety, PTSD
- Overcoming substance abuse issues
- Understanding and resolving household friction as a result of undefined roles and expectations
- Dealing with financial stress and financial changes
- Collectively grieving the loss of a loved one
- Navigating the emotional impact of infertility and family planning obstacles
- Regaining trust and resolving issues resulting from poor communication with the family structure
- Family issues specific to the LGBTQ community; discrimination, understanding a child, transitioning family roles and identities, etc. …
- Major life transitions like a career change, or a move to a new house or area
- Addressing the effects of marital conflicts on the entire family
- Understanding how ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders affect the individual as well as the entire family and obtaining help for every family member
How Can a Therapist or Counselor Help Your Family?
The hardest first step is to admit there is a problem. Seeking help outside of the family structure may feel uncomfortably exposing and vulnerable. We often tend to keep things close to the chest and hide our problems from the outside world, especially when it comes to family. The appearances of “perfect families” on TV and social media can cause us to try to adhere to an unrealistic version of family life.
Our counselors are dedicated to understanding your family’s unique challenges and maintaining your privacy. The most vital thing is to remember is what’s most important to you and to take care of your family’s emotional and mental health. Therapy can help you achieve this!
At Thriveworks in West Springfield, our family therapists will …
- Observe family dynamics and individual family members interactions and communication styles;
- Encourage and mediate discussions to develop healthy communication skills and conquer barriers;
- Assess communication and other behaviors patterns that may be leading to negative outcomes;
- Help families through transitions such as divorce, moving, and loss of a loved one;
- Diagnose and present treatment for psychological conditions and disorders that may be contributing to conflict and misunderstanding with the family;
- Facilitate and identify ways for each family member to contribute to the family in order to calm tension and strengthen relationships;
- Develop techniques for effective communications and listening skills;
- And replace dysfunctional behaviors with healthy news ones.
Your goals are our goals! We know how precious family is and are committed to working with you and your family to achieve the kind of understanding and connections that last a lifetime, no matter how your family grows and changes. All families are different and unique and it’s only through this knowledge and understanding that our counselors and therapists can begin to help you.
Choose Thriveworks In West Springfield For Your Family Therapy!
If you and your family are in need and want to reach to out one of our professionally licensed therapists, we are available for you! Good therapy can be hard to find and, oftentimes, a truly daunting task itself. At Thriveworks in West Springfield, we aim to make this step simple and stress-free for you. Our schedulers are available 7 days a week and will work with you to find you the best solutions.
Call us anytime or even book an appointment online! We offer face-to-face sessions as well as online and telehealth sessions to meet your family’s needs. We work with many insurance companies and health plans and can even offer financial assistance if this is an obstacle.
If you would like to talk to someone in a comfortable and helpful setting, we are here for you. You can achieve your goals and create closer and fulfilled relationships with your loved ones!