Losing someone close to you, or someone you love like a parent, child, spouse, relative, or friend can be a painful experience regardless of your age. Losses associated with the less talked about issues such as miscarriage, still birth, loss of a pet, as well as losing an important relationship can cause a lot of emotional pain.
When you love someone deeply, feelings of sadness after the loss are equally deep. Losing a loved one can trigger various feelings and emotions, which may affect your day-to-day functioning. Regardless of the kind of loss you are going through, grieving is a legitimate and necessary process.
It is important to note that there is no right or wrong way of mourning the loss of your loved one. In addition, the grieving process tends to be different for everyone. One person may grieve for a month, while another may grieve for years.
Nonetheless, it is important to seek grief and loss counseling regardless of how long you’ve been grieving. Thriveworks therapists will work with you to help you cope and navigate the grieving process. Though your life may never be the same, there is hope and healing. Thriveworks Tucson East grief and loss counselors specialize in therapy techniques focused on helping you turn your pain into healing. Call today at (520) 827-6372 to schedule your grief counseling appointment.
What Is Grief? What are the Symptoms of Grief?
Grief refers to how you react to any form of loss. The grief experience can range from normal grief to complicated grief. We offer early morning, daytime, and evening sessions, as well as weekend sessions depending on your availability.
Grief is characterized by various feelings and behaviors such as guilt, hostility, distress, preoccupation with the object of loss, and an inability to lead a normal life as you did before the loss. With adequate support, and over the course of time, the behaviors and feelings associated with grief tend to diminish. If you continue to experience feelings of intense distress and sadness for a prolonged period, or years after a loss, you may be suffering from complicated grief.
With complicated grief, symptoms tend to linger and get worse over time with symptoms including intense sorrow, constant thoughts about the loss, excessive focus on or avoidance of reminders of the loved one, bitterness, feeling as though life has no meaning, and an inability to carry out normal routines among other symptoms.
How Do I Know If I Need Grief Counseling?
For one to be diagnosed with complicated grief, the grief must have gone on for over a year. However, if any of the following symptoms persist for longer than six months, it might be time to consider grief counseling.
- You are unable to talk about the loved one without getting overwhelmed by emotions
- Your grief is triggered by minor occurrences or events
- Loss is ever present in your day-to-day interactions
- You have problems associating with your loved one’s possessions including wanting to keep things the same as before the loss, or throwing them out immediately
- You have made extreme life style changes
- You have unresolved grief associated with excluding family members, friends, or activities linked to your loved one.
- You have been suffering from depression, particularly marked by guilt, and poor self-esteem
- You feel obliged to try to be like your loved one in behavior or personality.
- You exhibit behaviors such as drinking or taking drugs to minimize the pain, entertaining suicidal thoughts, or eating or withholding food to manage the pain.
- You tend to experience deep sadness on dates associated with the deceased’s birthday, or anniversary
- You avoid visiting your loved one’s grave
- You are unwilling to talk about the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death
- You fear dying, particularly when you think about the illness that took away your loved one
Complicated grief manifests in various ways. Complicated grief can be chronic, delayed, masked or exaggerated. If your symptoms have been getting worse, it is important that you talk to a therapist at Thriveworks.
How Does Grief and Loss Counseling Work?
Grief and loss counseling at Thriveworks is a form of therapy that aims to help you grieve and feel the loss of your loved one in a healthy way.
Grief counseling at Thriveworks can be offered individually or in groups. The role of grief counseling is to:
- Help you express your emotions regarding the loss such as guilt, sadness, anger, distress, anxiety, or confusion
- Help you accept the loss
- Help you adjust to life in the absence of your loved one in a healthy way
- Help you cope or manage the changes that might have taken place after the loss
- Help you address behavioral and psychological problems and changes including disorganization, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, disturbed sleep, appetite changes, daydreaming or preoccupation with your loved one
- Equip you with self care skills
How Do I Schedule an Appointment at Thriveworks Tucson East?
Thriveworks counselors offer you mental, emotional, and physical support during your grief journey. You will be helped to work through any feelings, memories and thoughts you may have regarding the loss of your loved one in a safe and non-judgmental environment. You can schedule an appointment with a counselor or therapist at Thriveworks Tucson East online or by contacting us at (520) 827-6372. We offer early morning, daytime, and evening sessions, as well as weekend sessions depending on your availability.