Finding Therapy for Anxiety in Midtown Tucson, AZ
If you struggle with anxiety, you are not alone. In cities across the country, millions of Americans seek out counseling services to help reduce both the physical symptoms and mental duress that anxiety disorders cause. Anxiety affects people in different ways, from a mildly racing pulse to full-blown panic attacks. It is also a condition that is worth taking seriously, as it can cause long term health consequences if ignored.
Thanks to the popular television show “This Is Us,” lovable character Randall Pearson shines a spotlight on what it’s like to have a generalized anxiety disorder and how difficult it is to function in a stressful world. He feels an almost obsessive need to keep it all together, and this backfires on him many times as he struggles to maintain his composure.
He suffers from nightmares, panic episodes, and even a few breakdowns as he comes to terms with the fact that he will need assistance from a mental health counselor in order to process some difficult emotions. Many of us find his character endearing and relatable, as we have experienced many of these emotions and fears as well.
If you’re suffering from anxiety, consider making an appointment with a mental health professional at Thriveworks Counseling in Midtown Tucson, AZ.
Types of Anxiety
Anxiety can manifest in many ways, and it often has a connection to life events and trauma that are not fully processed.
Some of the ways that anxiety disorders show up include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: This type of anxiety occurs when an injury or traumatic event has not been processed and released effectively.
- Panic disorder: This type of anxiety is perhaps the most uncomfortable, with the sufferer being overcome at times by overwhelming feelings of dread, worry, or fear. This is often accompanied by uncomfortable physical symptoms that may require medical attention.
- Social anxiety: This type of anxiety is characterized by an intense fear of and aversion to social situations. Feeling anxious in crowds, at parties, and in public places is typical of someone who has social anxiety.
- Generalized anxiety disorder: This type of anxiety has one feeling anxious most of the time, without a definite cause or trigger. Over time, this type of mental illness can be detrimental to one’s physical and mental health.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): This type of anxiety is characterized by a need to control one’s environment. People with OCD tend to engage in thoughts, reactions, and behaviors that are predictable and repetitive, according to certain triggers that cause anxiety and discomfort.
Symptoms of Anxiety
People with anxiety may have one or many of the below symptoms. Even though some of these are considered mild, they all have adverse physical and mental health consequences when they are allowed to run unfettered.
Some of the symptoms of anxiety include:
- Feeling tense, nervous, or restless
- Having an impending sense of doom that cannot be shaken
- Increased heart rate and respiration
- Feeling achy or tired
- Obsessive worry or thought
- Trouble sleeping
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Memory and cognition problems
- Development of obsessive patterns or actions
- Problems with food and controlling portions
These anxiety symptoms can be extremely uncomfortable. If you find yourself experiencing them, consider scheduling an appointment with us in Midtown Tucson.
Getting Help: What to Expect From Anxiety Therapy
Making the decision to procure counseling services can be the first step in creating a better life for yourself. Many people who struggle with anxiety don’t know how significantly their lives will change as a result of opening up and allowing for healing to take place.
Here are some ways that you can expect Midtown Tucson counseling services to work for you:
- It can help you give a voice to unresolved emotions: Working through your fears can help you give a voice to some of those difficult emotions that you haven’t been able to identify or articulate before. Oftentimes, just being able to identify these feelings will allow you to release them and start healing.
- It can provide you with some much needed relief: As you undergo therapy, you may experience mental and physical relief that you haven’t felt for years. The release of obsessive thoughts, reduction in anxiety, and better sleep will be welcome changes if you have silently suffered for years. As clients uncover trauma, fear, and pain and learn relaxation techniques, they tend to see some of these symptoms reduce.
Starting Therapy for Anxiety with Thriveworks in Midtown Tucson, AZ
In Midtown Tucson, AZ we offer several types of therapy, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Individual and group sessions
- Exposure therapy
- Mindfulness techniques
These therapies are designed with you in mind. We work with you individually to design a wellness plan that is customized to help treat anxiety and teach you the tools to better handle those uncomfortable emotions.
Thriveworks clients enjoy an efficient intake process with appointments on weekends and evenings, both in-office and online via telehealth. You don’t need to deal with your anxiety and fear alone. Contact the qualified and caring professionals at Thriveworks Counseling today, and see how we can partner with you to help get your life back on track.