Families go through a lot together. People grow and change, and keeping everyone working together in harmony can be difficult. Life is full of challenges like these:
- Samantha’s son has been acting out at school but she isn’t sure why.
- Brandon and Julia recently got married but their children from prior marriages aren’t getting along.
- John gets into shouting matches with his two daughters almost every night.
- Jamie was recently laid off from her job after moving out of her parents’ house. She’s started drinking and her parents are worried.
Has your family ever gone through these types of challenges? All families have their good times and bad times. Sometimes, the difficult times can cause a huge amount of stress for everyone involved. When that happens, family therapy or counseling can be a great option to help you work through issues and bring your family closer together. Even the best relationships need work, and a trained mental health professional can help you solve problems, improve communication, and keep your relationships going strong.
Could your family benefit from working with a therapist or counselor? If you’re ready to take the next step, call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA today. Our scheduling team can help set you up with your first appointment.
Is Family Counseling Right for Me?
Family therapy is a form of treatment that helps families deal with their issues and create healthier relationships. During therapy, your provider will explore your family’s roles, rules, and patterns of behavior to help you find healthier and more effective ways of interacting with each other.
Many families can benefit from attending therapy. Some common reasons for seeing a mental health provider include:
- Financial disagreements
- Divorce and/or separation
- Mental illness
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Major life changes
- Difficulty communicating
- Behavioral problems in children
- Blending families
Going to family therapy doesn’t mean that anything is wrong with your family. In fact, it’s completely normal to ask for support when you need help getting through a difficult time. Working with a family counselor or therapist from Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA can spark helpful conversations among your family members and help you work toward healthier habits.
What Can I Expect at Family Therapy?
Mental health professionals can help your family no matter what you’re going through. Your family therapist may use one or more therapeutic techniques depending on your family’s specific issues.
Some common types of therapy used include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): This therapeutic technique focuses on changing automatic thoughts that contribute to emotional challenges and difficulties. In CBT, you’ll work with your therapist or counselor to help you notice negative or inaccurate thought patterns while learning coping methods and ways to reframe your thinking.
- Family systems therapy: This type of therapy focuses on the idea that every family is a unique system with its own structure and ways of communication. Each member’s personality, beliefs, and values are intertwined with everyone else’s in the family to create a specific family dynamic. Family systems therapy focuses on teaching communication and conflict resolution strategies and aims to change the unspoken “rules of engagement” within a family.
The type of therapy you receive and the length of time you spend in family therapy largely depend on your family issues and goals. Every family is different, and your family’s treatment plan will be unique to you.
Working with a therapist or counselor can help families get through a crisis, navigate a period of intense change, or simply learn how to communicate more effectively. Reach out to us today at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA if you think family therapy is right for you.
Family Therapy Appointments Available at Thriveworks in Shreveport, LA
Family conflicts are a natural part of life as a family grows and changes. Taking the time to address these issues can show everyone in the family how much they mean to each other. If you want to start family therapy or counseling today, call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA.
Many families have busy schedules and struggle to find the time for therapy. That’s why we offer evening and weekend sessions, convenient online appointment options, and a flexible cancellation policy. Simply contact us within 23.5 hours of your appointment to find a new time that works for you. We also accept many major healthcare plans, so working with a mental health provider might be more affordable than you think.
Working with a family therapist or counselor can help bring your family closer together. Call us today at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA to set up your first appointment. We look forward to hearing from you.