Edward and Sarah married right out of high school. After living together for a few years, they’ve realized that their life goals are pretty different. Edward wants to teach in a foreign country and Sarah wants to start a family in the town where they both grew up. They’re having trouble seeing the other person’s side and spend a lot of time fighting.
Meanwhile, Chris and Sierra recently discovered that their views on parenting are very different. As their son is getting older, they’re having trouble presenting a united front. Chris was raised in a relaxed household and wants the same for his children while Sierra wants to set rules and build discipline. This difference in parenting styles is creating friction in their relationship.
Stories like these are incredibly common. Relationships go through natural ups and downs over time. Though this can be distressing, it is completely normal. And if you need help getting through life’s difficult moments, support is available.
Relationship counseling provides couples with a safe place to discuss their issues, learn healthy habits, and build a stronger bond. If your relationship has hit a roadblock and you’d like support, consider relationship counseling at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA. Call our office or use our simple online scheduling tool to get started today.
Reasons To Start Relationship Counseling
Relationship counseling involves a mental health professional meeting with a couple and talking to them about their issues. Your therapist or counselor will work with you to understand how both of you feel before creating an individualized treatment plan that can improve your relationship in a holistic way.
Therapy can help couples experiencing many different issues, including (but not limited to):
- Difficulty communicating
- Grief or loss
- Intimacy issues
- Financial disagreements
- Issues with children
- Loss of a “spark”
- Difficulty resolving arguments
Counseling or therapy sessions can help couples resolve their differences and work toward a common goal. Consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA if you want to start working with a mental health professional.
Takeaways From Couples Counseling
Going through a rough patch in your relationship can be difficult. Your therapist or counselor will help you make important decisions together and collaborate on changes you’d each like to see in your relationship.
Here are some of the things you might learn when meeting with a therapist or counselor:
- Communication skills: Everyone communicates differently, and this applies within the context of our relationships, too. How you communicate with your partner, for example, is critically important to the health of your relationship. A licensed professional can identify where communication is breaking down so you can address those issues and communicate in a healthier way.
- Prioritizing: Sometimes, you may have different priorities from your partner. That’s completely normal but finding consensus can be difficult. Your provider can help you learn how to balance your partner’s needs with your own in an effective way that makes you both happy.
- Conflict resolution: Conflict is part of every relationship but there are healthy and unhealthy ways of handling it. Your counselor or therapist can teach you how to address conflict as it presents itself.
- Listening skills: Communication is a two-way street. You might be surprised about something that your partner says during the course of a session. It can be tempting to become defensive but this often isn’t the best way to make progress. Your therapist can teach you how to listen to each other and mitigate future conflicts.
Mastering these skills can be helpful in any relationship –– sometimes, even couples with strong relationships schedule a few sessions with a professional to learn healthier habits and improve their bond. No matter where you’re at in your relationship, working with a counselor or therapist from Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA can help you solve your problems and grow closer as a couple.
Schedule Your First Couples Therapy Appointment in Shreveport, LA
Couples therapy and marriage counseling can help you overcome any issue you’re facing as a couple. Your provider will help you understand your challenges and move forward as one.
We understand that finding time for mental health care can be difficult, especially when scheduling appointments for multiple people. At Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA, we offer evening and weekend sessions to help you fit therapy into your busy schedule. We also offer a flexible cancellation policy.
Some of our clients love our online appointment options –– you can work with a provider over a video chat or a phone call. We won’t put you on a waitlist, and many of our new clients can see a professional within 24-48 hours.
Couples therapy or marriage counseling can help you strengthen your relationship with your significant other. Call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Shreveport, LA to set up your first appointment with a couples therapist. Our scheduling team is standing by to provide you with excellent customer service and answer any questions you have.