Because our mental and emotional health is intimately intertwined with our personality and sense of self-perception, it can be difficult to seek help when something feels off. We convince ourselves that perhaps we are to blame for our mental health issues, or that we would feel better if we could just “shake it off.”
To complicate matters, we often don’t know how to describe what we’re feeling, so we use this uncertainty to trick ourselves into believing that our instincts are wrong and that we are perfectly fine.
But instincts exist for a reason. Our body knows when something isn’t right mentally and emotionally just as sure as it knows when something isn’t right physically. Trust what your instincts are telling you, and seek mental health support when you need it.
Psychiatrists are here to help you when you’re facing difficult emotions or symptoms of a mental disorder. Because of their medical degree, they’re able to provide high-level care that addresses both mental and physical symptoms. Our providers have helped countless people deal with their psychological troubles through personalized counseling sessions, and they can do the same for you.
Our online psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Topeka, KS are ready and waiting to help you conquer your emotional and mental challenges. Call or register online to book a virtual appointment.
Why Do People Pursue Psychiatric Treatment?
People pursue psychiatric treatment for any number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Substance abuse, or the act of consuming drugs, alcohol, or medicines with the purpose of avoiding problems or attaining a high. This can include legal and illegal substances.
- Mood disorders, or mental illnesses that impact a person’s emotional state or mood. The disorders may be punctuated by intense moments of sadness or happiness. Common examples include bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, and seasonal affective disorder.
- Personality disorders, or repeat deviations from typical modes of thoughts. People with personality disorders often have a distorted perception of themselves and reality. Examples include borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, and narcissistic personality disorder.
- Anxiety disorders, or persistent feelings of fear and anxiousness that prevent people from performing normal day-to-day activities. Anxiety disorders can often be accompanied by physical symptoms. Examples of anxiety disorders include panic disorder, phobias, and separation anxiety disorder.
Because mental and emotional disorders can significantly impact our daily lives, fighting them can often seem impossible. But a licensed mental health professional can offer much-needed guidance to manage your symptoms and overcome your mental health challenges.
Scheduling an appointment with a board-certified psychiatrist can provide the structure you need to retake control of your everyday life. If now is the right time to begin your wellness journey, please give us a call at Thriveworks in Topeka, KS to get started.
What Does Psychiatric Treatment Involve?
Psychiatric treatment is typically split into three categories: diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
A board-certified psychiatrist will meet with you to diagnose your problem through a series of questions or tests. Once the diagnosis is complete, they’ll come up with a treatment plan that caters to your specific disorder, illness, or other mental health concern. As part of that treatment, you may be given coping strategies to help you manage your symptoms and ward off future mental health issues.
Because they’ve attended medical school, your provider can prescribe medications as part of your overall wellness plan. Medications are not always used, but when they are, they are often prescribed in combination with psychoanalysis or some other form of talk therapy.
To book an appointment with one of our psychiatrists in Topeka, KS, simply reach out to our staff by phone or click our booking widget. We’ll be happy to get you started.
Book a Psychiatry Session at Thriveworks in Topeka, KS
Starting something new can feel daunting so we want to make getting started as easy as possible. That’s why we’re proud to offer the following benefits:
- Offices with early opening times and late closing times
- Online counseling via video and phone
- In-between access to your provider by phone or email
- Evening and weekend counseling sessions
- A moderated discussion board
- Exclusive video content
We accept many different insurance plans. Because we know that schedules change, we also offer a flexible cancellation policy.
Life may feel uncertain right now but one thing is for sure: your mental and emotional health is important. Thriveworks in Topeka, KS is here to help. To speak to one of our psychiatrists, please book an appointment online or over the phone.
We know you can thrive, and we’re here to help.