Psychiatry in Hockessin, DE—Treating Mental Disorders
Many people struggle with mental health disorders and challenges in life that are hard to overcome. Maybe one day at the store, your anxiety is so bad that it prevents you from talking to the cashier so you leave all of your items behind. Or maybe you feel like you can never get your emotions under control.
Luckily, mental health care, such as therapy and counseling, is readily available and designed to help people work through these challenges. However, counseling is only part of the treatment plan for some people. Psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners, trained and board-certified, can help their clients better overcome their mental illnesses through medication management and psychotherapy.
Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Hockessin, DE, we are happy to offer our clients online psychiatric care. Our team can provide you exceptional care to help you get to the mental place you want and deserve. If you are experiencing a mental health challenge and feel like you might benefit from talking to a psychiatrist, consider reaching out to our office. Call (302) 703-0979.
Psychiatrists vs. Psychologists: The Difference
When you decide to take the next step and get the mental health help you need, you want to make sure you’re seeing someone who fits your needs. Maybe you just want someone to talk to or perhaps you need a diagnosis in order to take medication. While psychologists and psychiatrists are very similar, there are some differences:
- Psychologists receive specialized training and education to provide clients with counseling services, such as psychotherapy, narrative therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Psychiatrists also receive specialized training and education but receive a medical degree instead. This allows them to diagnose, treat, and manage mental illnesses, often with psychiatric medication. They also utilize psychotherapy and other forms of treatment, too.
Both professionals offer comprehensive treatment plans and have your best interest in mind. They also understand the thoughts, feelings, and emotions that people experience. If you have a mental disorder or think you might, working with a psychiatrist is most likely the best fit for you and your needs.
What Disorders Can Be Treated Through Psychiatry?
At Thriveworks Counseling in Hockessin, our team of psychiatrists is highly trained to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. Some of areas they can help with include:
- Eating Disorders: Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating
- Personality Disorders: Borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder
- Mood Disorders: Bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, minor depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder
- Learning Disorders: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia
Symptoms to Look Out For
If you’re experiencing unusual symptoms or emotional unrest, our psychiatrists can assess you and provide you with an accurate diagnosis if there is an underlying condition. Here are some signs and symptoms to be on the lookout for:
- Experiencing hallucinations or delusions
- Obsessively thinking
- Difficulty adjusting after major life changes, stress, or loss
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Thoughts of hurting other people or yourself
- Anxiety, worry, and fear
- Difficulty concentrating, paying attention, or remembering things
- Suicidal thoughts or actions of self-harm
Regardless of what you’re experiencing, it’s important to listen to your body and mind and know when it’s time to get help. As soon as something feels off, reach out to our office for assistance.
Schedule with a Psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Hockessin, DE
We believe that reaching out for help is a smart decision. Going along with that, we want to make getting help as easy and accessible as possible.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Hockessin, DE, we offer extended appointment hours, flexible cancellations, a no waitlist policy, support seven days a week, and more. When you’re ready to schedule your appointment, give our office a call at (302) 703-0979.
We look forward to working with you on your journey to better wellbeing.