Online Marriage Counseling: Virtual Relationship Help
Online counseling is just like in-person therapy, with one key difference. Instead of meeting with your counselor face to face in a traditional setting, you meet with them over the phone or on a video call. These are the two main online counseling options: telephone counseling and video counseling.
If you’re looking for relationship help in couples therapy or marriage counseling sessions, consider working with an online marriage counselor or couples therapist. They can provide you with relationship help over the phone or video chat.
Online relationship therapy is a convenient and comfortable experience. To get started with an online marriage counsellor, all you need is a stable internet connection and a device to connect with your provider. Then, you’re ready to attend your sessions over the phone or in live chat video sessions.
Relationship Counselling Online: How Does It Work?
Let’s start with the basics. Online couples therapy sessions can help couples work through any existing conflicts and improve the overall relationship. This form of therapy is led by counselors who specialize in relationship help, such as licensed marriage and family therapists.
Marriage counselors get to know both individuals, as well as the problems that have been identified so that they can best assist the couple in finding a resolution.
If you are interested in marriage counseling or couples therapy, your counselor can help you:
- Improve communication skills
- Manage unrealistic relationship expectations
- Work through specific relationship issues, such as jealousy or infidelity
- Resolve marital conflicts
- Discuss mental health issues that are affecting your relationship
- Create a more fulfilling relationship and improve your relationship as a whole
These goals can be accomplished in in-person marriage counseling as well as in online marriage counseling or couples therapy.
If you and your partner decide to explore telephone counseling, you’ll simply answer your counselor’s call at your scheduled appointment time. If the two of you decide to explore video counseling instead, you’ll simply visit the link that your counselor sends you.
With both of these online counseling therapy options, you and your partner will work together toward a happier, healthier relationship.
Who Can Online Couples Counseling Help?
The course of online marital counseling or couples therapy varies from couple to couple, to match the given couple’s needs. For example, some couples come into online marriage counseling or couples therapy with a serious problem, such as infidelity or the prospect of divorce.
Others pursue online marriage counseling because they want to improve an aspect of their relationship before it leads to a serious problem. Either way, online marriage counselors and couples therapists can provide assistance.
Here are a few marital and relationship issues that are often discussed in couples therapy:
- Sex issues
- Lack of communication
- Trust issues
- Financial stress
- Parenting disagreements
- Mental illness
Some of these issues start at the individual level but ultimately affect the unit. For example, addiction starts as an individual problem, but it has implications on the relationship, too. In these instances, the online marriage counsellor might decide it best to work with each individual one-on-one for a few sessions.
What Are the Benefits of Online Marriage Counseling?
If you’ve never considered online therapy before, you might be thinking, “Why should I choose online marriage counseling over the normal in-person marriage counseling?”
The short answer is that there are many appealing benefits that come with online counseling that you don’t get in in-person counseling. Here are several benefits that bring people into online therapy for couples:
- Convenience: You can’t get any more convenient. With online marriage counseling, couples therapy, or even premarital counseling, you and your partner get to meet with your counselor conveniently from home. This, in turn, means greater accessibility too. It’s hard enough to find time for each other; carving out time, that works for both individuals, to go into the office for an appointment isn’t the most convenient. Online marriage counseling addresses this problem. Remember, all you need is internet connection and a device that will allow you to meet with your counselor by phone or video.
- Comfort: Often, convenience and comfort go hand in hand. This is certainly the case for online marriage counseling! Because you and your partner get to attend your sessions from home, you can feel more comfortable as you talk with your counselor. You and your partner are free to cozy up on the couch, at the dining room table, or wherever else you feel comfortable and safe to attend your appointment.
- Flexibility: Online marriage counseling and couples therapy also offer greater flexibility when it comes to booking or moving around your sessions. It’s normal to wait a few weeks or even a few months to meet with a doctor, but that doesn’t mean it’s preferred. In online marriage counseling at Thriveworks, by both phone and video, you can often meet with your counselor or therapist the very next day. Our goal is to allow you to meet your counselor as soon as possible.
- Reliability: As long as you have a reliable internet connection, you can rely on having your appointment. Unfortunately, there are certain external factors that might get in the way of having your in-person counseling session. For example, we might run late to our appointment because we’re stuck in traffic or don’t feel comfortable driving in poor weather conditions. This forces us to reschedule. Fortunately, many of these external factors don’t come into play in marriage counseling online.
- Value: Last, but certainly not least, online marriage counseling and couples therapy is also valuable. Studies show that online counseling services prove to be just as effective as the traditional approach to counseling. In fact, certain individuals and couples find telephone counseling and video counseling to be even more effective because they are able to open up more readily in a virtual setting about the problems they are experiencing.
As you can see, online marriage counseling comes with many benefits that you often don’t see in in-person counseling. If you’d like to experience these benefits, you can get started in online marriage counseling at Thriveworks as soon as today.
Is Online Marriage Counseling Covered by Insurance?
Most major insurance plans now cover online marriage counseling by video. Many are also beginning to pay for online marriage counseling (and other online mental health services) by phone, too! Therefore, you can add affordability to the list of benefits above.
To verify that your specific insurance pays for online marriage counseling, simply call the number that’s listed on the back of your insurance card. Or, you can call us! Contact your local Thriveworks office and ask them if your insurance will cover the services you’re looking for. Then, we’ll be happy to get you scheduled for your first online marriage counseling appointment.
If you find that your insurance does not cover online marriage counseling or couples therapy, know that we also have affordable self-pay rates here at Thriveworks. We don’t want anything, especially insurance, to stand in your way of accessing the mental health services you’re searching for.
Best Online Couples Counseling at Thriveworks
There are 150+ Thriveworks counseling centers across the US and we are continuing to grow every day! Even at this growth rate, we strive to work with only the best of the best mental health professionals including online marriage counselors who have exceptional skills, adequate training, and plenty of experience.
If you and your partner are interested in online marriage counseling or online couple counseling, consider booking an online session at Thriveworks. In online marriage counseling, you can work with any board-certified counselor or therapist that resides in your state!
Our team looks forward to the chance to meet with you (virtually, of course)!