Online Marriage Counseling and Couples Therapy—Counseling by Phone or Video
Online counseling is just like in-person counseling, with one key difference. Instead of meeting with your counselor in a traditional in-person setting, you meet with them over the phone or on a video call. These are the two main online counseling options: telephone counseling and video counseling.
If you’re looking for relationship help in marriage counseling or couples therapy, consider working with an online marriage counselor or couples therapist. They can provide you with relationship help over the phone or video. Working with a counselor online means a convenient and comfortable experience. To get started, all you need is stable internet connection and a device to connect with your provider, be it a computer, telephone, or tablet. Then, you’re ready to work with your counselor wherever you find suitable!
Online Marriage Counseling, Couples Therapy: How Does It Work?
Let’s start with the basics. Marriage counseling, also known as couples therapy, is a form of therapy that helps couples work through any existing conflicts and improve the overall relationship. Marriage counselors get to know both individuals, as well as the problems that have been identified, so that they can best assist the couple in finding resolution. If you are interested in marriage counseling or couples therapy, your counselor can help you to:
- Develop effective means of communication
- Manage unrealistic relationship or marital expectations
- Work through specific relationship issues, such as jealousy or infidelity
- Improve the overall health and strength of your relationship
These goals can be accomplished in in-person marriage counseling as well as in online marriage counseling or couples therapy. If you and your partner decide to explore telephone counseling, you’ll simply answer your counselor’s call at your scheduled appointment time. If the two of you decide to explore video counseling instead, you’ll simply visit the link that your counselor sends you at the time of your session. Both of these online counseling therapy options allow you to attend your sessions from the comfort and safety of home.
How Can Online Marriage Counseling Help Couples?
The course of online marriage counseling or couples therapy varies from couple to couple, to match the given couple’s needs. For example, some couples come into online marriage counseling or couples therapy with a serious problem, such as infidelity or the prospect of divorce. Others pursue online marriage counseling because they want to improve an aspect of their relationship before it leads to a serious problem. Either way, online marriage counselors and couples therapists can provide assistance. Here are a few marital and relationship issues that are often discussed in couples therapy:
- Sex issues
- Lack of communication
- Trust issues
- Financial stress
- Parenting disagreements
- Mental illness
Some of these issues start at the individual level, but ultimately affect the unit. For example, addiction starts as an individual problem, but it has implications on the relationship, too. In these instances, the online marriage counselor might decide it best to work with each individual one-on-one for a few sessions.
What Are the Benefits of Online Marriage Counseling?
If you’ve never consider online mental health services before, you might be thinking, “Why should I choose online marriage counseling over the normal in-person marriage counseling?” The short answer is that there are many appealing benefits that come with online counseling that you don’t get in in-person counseling. Here are several benefits that bring people in to online marriage counseling:
- Convenience: You can’t get any more convenient. With online marriage counseling and couples therapy, you and your partner get to meet with your counselor conveniently from home. This, in turn, means greater accessibility too. It’s hard enough to find time for each other; carving out time, that works for both individuals, to go into the office for an appointment isn’t the most convenient. Online marriage counseling addresses this problem. Remember, all you need is internet connect and a device that will allow you to meet with your counselor by phone or video.
- Comfort: Often, convenience and comfort go hand in hand. This is certainly the case for online marriage counseling! Because you and your partner get to attend your sessions from home, you can feel more comfortable as you talk with your counselor. You and your partner are free to cozy up on the couch, at the dining room table, or wherever else you feel comfortable and safe to attend your appointment.
- Flexibility: Online marriage counseling and couples therapy also offers greater flexibility when it comes to booking or moving around your sessions. It’s normal to wait a few weeks or even a few months to meet with a doctor, but that doesn’t mean it’s preferred. In online marriage counseling at Thriveworks, by both phone and video, you can often meet with your counselor or therapist the very next day. Our goal is to allow you to meet your counselor as soon as possible.
- Reliability: As long as you have reliable internet connection, you can rely on having your appointment. Unfortunately, there are certain external factors that might get in the way of having your in-person counseling session. For example, we might run late to our appointment because we’re stuck in traffic or don’t feel comfortable driving in poor weather conditions. This forces us to reschedule. Fortunately, many of these external factors don’t come into play in online marriage counseling.
- Value: Last, but certainly not list, online marriage counseling and couples therapy is also valuable. Studies show that online counseling services prove to be just as effective as the traditional approach to counseling. In fact, certain individuals and couples find telephone counseling and video counseling to be even more effective because they are able to open up more readily in a virtual setting about the problems they are experiencing.
As you can see, online marriage counseling comes with many benefits that you often don’t see in in-person counseling. If you’d like to experience these benefits, you can get started in online marriage counseling at Thriveworks as soon as today.
Is Online Marriage Counseling Covered by Insurance?
Most major insurance plans now cover online marriage counseling by video. Many are also beginning to pay for online marriage counseling (and other online mental health services) by phone, too! Therefore, you can add affordability to the list of benefits above.
To verify that your specific insurance pays for online marriage counseling, simply call the number that’s listed on the back of your insurance card. Or, you can call us! Contact your local Thriveworks office and ask them if your insurance will cover the services you’re looking for. Then, we’ll be happy to get you scheduled for your first online marriage counseling appointment.
If you find that your insurance does not cover online marriage counseling or couples therapy, know that we also have affordable self-pay rates here at Thriveworks. We don’t want anything, especially insurance, to stand in your way of accessing the mental health services you’re searching for.
Schedule Online Marriage Counseling and Couples Therapy at Thriveworks
There are 100+ Thriveworks counseling centers across the US and we are continuing to grow every day! Even at this growth rate, we strive to work with only the best of the best mental health professionals, which are those who have exceptional skills, adequate training, and impressive experience. This trifecta allows them to provide you with the excellent mental health care that you’re looking for.
If you and your partner are interested in online marriage counseling and couples therapy, consider booking a session at Thriveworks. Remember: to begin online counseling by phone or video, you’ll simply need to ensure that you have stable internet connection and a device to join your counselor over the phone or video chat. Then, you and your partner are at your will to find a comfortable space to attend your session right at home.
To schedule your online marriage counseling or couples therapy appointment, click here. In online marriage counseling, you can work with any counselor or therapist that resides in your state! Find your counselor by locating the Thriveworks office nearest you. Then, view each counselor’s bio, which delves into their skills, experience, and specialties. Our team looks forward to the chance to meet with you (virtually, of course)!