Kathryn schedules yearly physical exams for herself and her family, exercises daily, and keeps track of her energy levels. But she’s never dedicated too much time to her mental health. When her father passes away, she falls into a depressive slump. She avoids interactions with her kids, withdraws from family events, and falls behind at work.
Kathryn talks to her doctor, who suggests consulting a psychologist. Kathryn is wary at first because she was raised to keep her emotions in check, but after speaking with a psychologist, she begins to truly process her dad’s passing.
Psychologists are licensed mental health professionals with specialized training in diagnosing and treating mental illness. Each psychologist may have a specialty practice area where they have extra training in treating a specific condition, but all psychologists have extensive training in helping people manage all kinds of mental health concerns and challenges.
Taking care of your mind is equally as important as getting help for physical injuries and diseases. A licensed psychologist is trained to identify, diagnose, and treat the problems that might be keeping you from feeling your best.
Mental health professionals at Thriveworks Counseling New Orleans, LA, can pinpoint underlying issues that influence our emotional and psychological states, helping you live a happier, healthier life. Consider calling our office today or using our online scheduling tool to set up your first appointment.
How Can I Benefit From Working With a Psychologist?
It’s never too late to ask for help. Reaching out to a psychologist about persistent mental health issues can empower decisions that transform your relationships and general outlook and general outlook on life. We want you to know that you don’t have to face life’s challenges on your own.
Working with a caring and licensed psychologist can help you understand your mental state and manage issues in your life. Psychologists can help you:
- Learn how to process everyday stressors
- Identify your environmental triggers
- Manage symptoms of anxiety or depression
- Reframe negative thought patterns
- Strengthen your relationships
- Advocate for your mental health needs
- Work through childhood or recent trauma
- Build healthy coping mechanisms for persistent problems
Working with a psychologist isn’t only for people with severe mental health problems. Wanting to improve your day-to-day experience, identify setbacks that negatively impact your relationships, or receive guidance during a major life transition are all valid reasons for reaching out. Prioritizing your mental health can help you live your best life.
To get started with a convenient online psychology appointment, call our friendly scheduling team at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA.
What Does Psychological Treatment Typically Involve?
Many psychologists choose to work in a specialty area (like child development or trauma) to help people process stressful situations, manage chronic illnesses, overcome substance abuse, and much more. They attend years of schooling and supervised training to hone their craft and provide compassionate care to their clients.
Whether you are grieving the loss of a loved one, under excessive stress at work, living with unhealthy eating habits, or experiencing relationship issues, speaking with a trained psychologist can help.
Sessions are unique for every client, but there are some common things to expect:
- Talk therapy: A skilled psychologist knows how to create a comfortable and confidential environment so you can speak about your concerns, needs, and personal goals. Many types of talk therapy can help you identify issues in your life and build a plan to reduce their impact.
- Diagnostic tests: Psychologists are equipped to perform many diagnostic tests to determine the underlying cause of your discomfort, pain, or trauma. In addition, these tests can help identify a particular disorder or phobia that is impacting you.
- Prescription medication: Psychologists can also advise you on the potential benefit of medication for treating any mental health issues. Some psychologists can prescribe medication in the state of Louisiana after completing a specific master’s degree program. However, most psychologists cannot prescribe medication. Instead, they’ll often work with a psychiatrist or other medical professional if medication would be helpful for your situation.
If you’re interested in making a change and managing your mental health, consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA.
Psychology Appointments at Thriveworks in New Orleans, LA
Psychologists have the training to help you overcome challenges in your life. If you want to reach out for support from a mental health professional, consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA.
We truly believe that everyone should be able to access convenient mental health care. That’s why we accept most major insurance plans, offer online sessions via video chat or phone, and even have evening and weekend time slots available. We also offer a flexible cancellation policy, won’t put you on a waitlist, and many of our new clients can see a provider within 24-48 hours.
We want to help you conquer any challenges that life throws your way. Call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA, or use our convenient online scheduling tool to get started.