Couples and Marriage Counseling in New Orleans, LA
In Noah Baumbach’s hit 2019 film Marriage Story, a couple played by Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver goes through a grueling and isolating divorce. Their failure to communicate their needs, desires, and insecurities leads to a breakup that takes an emotional and financial toll on them both, as well as causing their young son distress.
The film dramatizes the fights and falling out that can occur in romantic relationships between all sorts of people. The pair meets with a couples therapist once early on, but they quickly abandon the sessions in favor of separation to pursue their careers.
Whether they’ve been together for decades or only a few months, many couples might see their experiences reflected in the film. Our differences can lead to tense arguments and feelings of disrespect. Having a romantic partner can be a source of happiness, but it isn’t without its ups and downs. Fortunately, real-life couples counseling is often more effective than what you see on the big screen. One of our licensed marriage and family therapists can help you work through difficult times and repair strained relationships through time-tested practices.
If you need help navigating issues with a partner, working with a mental health professional can help. Call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA, to schedule your first appointment.
Common Reasons to Seek Relationship Counseling
No relationship is without disagreement. Part of the joy of being with someone comes from seeing their worldview and using this to change your outlook on life. However, even the strongest couples can sometimes use outside help to maintain healthy boundaries and nurture their relationships.
Some reasons that partners decide to start relationship counseling include:
- Trust issues
- Different parenting styles
- Financial challenges
- Feeling neglected or unloved
- Intimacy issues
- Opposing political views
- Poor communication
- Unaccepting or intrusive in-laws
- Division of labor (such as household chores and childcare)
- Emotional vulnerability issues
Many couples find that speaking with a professional about ongoing issues improves their relationships by elevating their level of trust, strengthening communication skills, and allowing for vulnerability during challenging moments.
When you and your partner are ready, counselors in New Orleans, LA, are here to help you navigate the highs and lows of being in a relationship. Call or book an appointment online today.
How Does Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling Work?
No one enters a relationship with a blank slate. We all bring experiences from past relationships, our upbringing, political views, and more. The job of a licensed marriage and family therapist or counselor is to help couples work through their differences and establish healthier routines.
When you reach out to Thriveworks Counseling, you will be paired with a trained professional and attend sessions as a pair to express your needs and goals in your relationship. In addition, your provider can suggest several approaches that constructively resolve conflict. These might include:
- Emotionally focused therapy: EFT aims to identify and alter destructive patterns in a relationship that prevent the formation of strong emotional bonds.
- The Gottman Method: Widely used by relationship therapists, the Gottman Method addresses the four major sources of relationship issues: defensiveness, stonewalling, criticism, and contempt.
- Reflective listening: This technique uses “I” statements, in which a person intentionally frames each of their concerns with “I feel X when you do Y” instead of “You are wrong for doing Y.” It prevents defensiveness and makes it easier for couples to listen to one another.
- Imago Relationship Therapy: Formed in 1980 by Dr. Harville Hendrix and Dr. Helen LaKelly Hunt, IRT stresses the connection between adult relationships and childhood experiences. It seeks to improve empathy and understanding by bringing each person’s mental health into the conversation.
These therapeutic practices can help transform your relationship. To get started, contact us online or call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA.
Thriveworks Couples Therapy Appointments in New Orleans, LA
Our licensed therapists and counselors are ready to help you and your partner today. New clients can often see a provider within 24-48 hours of reaching out, and our simple online booking system takes the hassle out of planning your sessions. In addition, we pride ourselves on accepting many different forms of health insurance and even offer text message support for all your billing and scheduling needs.
Thriveworks provides online appointments as well, through phone calls or video chats. You can schedule an online or in-person session on a weekday, evening, or weekend time slot. Our flexible cancellation and rescheduling policy mean you don’t have to worry when conflicts arise — get in touch within 23.5 hours before your session to find a time that works better for you.
If you’d like to improve something in your relationship, consider working with a counselor or therapist from Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA. Call our office or use our online scheduling tool to get started.