Therapy for Anxiety in New Orleans, LA — Sessions Available
Experiencing anxiety during stressful life events is entirely normal. But prolonged anxiety that interferes with your ability to relax, be present with your loved ones, and participate in common activities might be a sign of a more serious anxiety disorder.
An anxiety disorder can look like this:
- A father can’t let his son out of his sight without worrying he will get hurt. He may wait by the phone the entire school day or during ballet class, expecting the worst and unable to focus on work. While fretting over the safety of children is normal, he refuses to let his son attend summer camps or go to sleepovers, despite assurances that there will be adult supervision the entire time.
- A bride-to-be is so focused on making her wedding perfect that she stops eating or sleeping for days on end. She imagines new crises every day: The caterer will cancel at the last minute, her dress won’t fit, or her fiancée will decide to call off the wedding. Despite no indication these things could happen, she can’t think about anything other than worst-case scenarios.
- A college sophomore is looking for a summer internship. He knows that most people in his program don’t land positions before junior year, but stays up after classes and works to draft cover letters and edit his resume. He turns down invitations to spend time with friends and feels immense guilt whenever he takes a break from submitting applications.
If these scenarios feel familiar, you may be living with an anxiety disorder that disrupts your daily life. Anxiety can manifest in many forms, including difficulty concentrating and excessive worrying. The good news is there are trained therapists and counselors who can assess your situation and suggest treatments that reduce anxiety.
Get started today at Thriveworks in New Orleans, LA with a convenient online or in-person appointment by contacting our friendly scheduling team.
What Are Common Anxiety Symptoms?
Anxiety can look different for everyone. It’s okay if your experiences with anxiety don’t entirely match those of your favorite character in a TV show or a celebrity who advocates for mental health services.
Usually, when therapists and other people talk about anxiety, they are referring to generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), but other types of anxiety disorders can lead to different kinds of symptoms.
Some of the most common anxiety symptoms include:
- Unwanted or intrusive thoughts
- Difficulty concentrating
- Excessive worry
- Persistent fear
- Drastic changes in appetite or mood
- Sleep disruption, such as insomnia
- Social anxiety
- Panic attacks
Anxiety disorders do not discriminate. They can affect people from all walks of life, like adults and adolescents, wealthy people and those struggling financially, people who have achieved their career goals and others who are unhappy with their jobs.
If you’re experiencing anxiety symptoms and are ready to make a change, our licensed professionals in New Orleans, LA are here to help.
Getting Help: What You Can Expect From Anxiety Therapy
Addressing your anxiety may seem like a challenge but you do not have to do it alone. Seeking the assistance of a therapist or counselor can be a step in the right direction.
When you meet with a licensed mental health professional, you can expect to speak with them about your symptoms and the issues you’ve been dealing with at home, work, or school. Many people with anxiety attend weekly talk therapy sessions to work through their recurring symptoms and mitigate their symptoms. For example, one form of therapy called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) involves using coping mechanisms to address the root of your issues, reduce anxiety, and help regulate your emotional state.
When you begin working with a Thriveworks therapist or counselor, they will ask about your needs, challenges, and personal goals. This will help them create a treatment plan unique to your situation. Beyond in-session techniques for addressing anxiety, a therapist may offer helpful tips and techniques for use in your daily life, like breathing exercises, mindfulness techniques, and stress management skills.
If you’re interested in therapy for anxiety, call or use our online booking now to connect with a Thriveworks therapist in New Orleans, LA.
Talk With a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in New Orleans, LA
Our skilled and compassionate therapists and counselors are here to help you take charge of your mental health. New clients can often see a provider within 24-48 hours of reaching out. Our simple booking system takes the hassle out of planning your sessions and we even offer text message support for billing and scheduling. We also pride ourselves on accepting many different forms of health insurance.
We offer appointments virtually as well, through phone calls and video chats. For your convenience, there are therapists and counselors available on weekends and in the evenings. You’ll have access to your provider between scheduled sessions using email or phone, and flexible cancellations and rescheduling services mean you don’t have to worry when life gets in the way.
Additionally, Thriveworks in New Orleans, LA offers great perks like participation in counselor-moderated community discussion boards, exclusive video content, and a life coach Q&A service.
If you’re ready to manage your stress and get back to enjoying life, make an appointment at Thriveworks in New Orleans, LA. Give us a call or reach out via our scheduling tool. We look forward to seeing you soon.