For many of us, the bright moments in life outweigh the dark moments. But sometimes, the dark moments creep in without us knowing it. They reveal themselves through our feelings and emotions.
Feelings of sadness from time to time are expected. We’ve all been there: a relationship ends, a loved one dies, an unexpected change happens. Clinical depression, though, is different from the passing emotions of the day.
People with depression have a severe mental health disorder that, left untreated, can be devastating for them and their loved ones. Fortunately, if you are experiencing symptoms, there is hope. There are effective forms of treatment for depression, including depression counseling.
You don’t have to handle your mental illness on your own. Our team of professional therapists at Thriveworks Counseling in Memphis, TN has the training, skills, and compassion to help you beat depression and live a happy and successful life.
Depression is a prevalent mood disorder that affects millions of people all over the world. Over 7% of the U.S. population had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.
If you have depression symptoms, you may feel isolated and alone. You may also think you’re the only one lost in this wilderness. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the handbook used by clinicians and psychiatrists to diagnose psychiatric illnesses, lists the two most common types of depression as major depressive disorder and persistent depressive disorder.
While symptoms vary between individuals, let’s take a look at some common signs of depression:
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Decreased interest or pleasure in previously enjoyed activities
- Changes in eating habits
- Sleep disturbances
- Physical pain
- Recurrent thoughts of death
If these symptoms don’t apply to you, that’s okay. This list isn’t all-inclusive, and, as previously stated, your symptoms might differ. That’s why meeting with a therapist is a significant first step to understanding this disorder and how to treat it effectively.
While you await your first depression therapy session, let’s get you equipped with some coping tools to help with depression symptoms right now.
Tips to Help Cope with Depression
As discussed, speaking with a therapist is a beneficial first start if you’re experiencing any of these symptoms. There are also several coping skills you can apply. Read the list below, and see if you can put any of these skills into practice today:
- Get on track: Maintaining a healthy and predictable routine is extremely important for those with depression since the disorder can cause a dramatic dip in energy and motivation. Try sticking to a schedule that works for you and maintain that schedule every day.
- Get healthy: A nutritious diet can work wonders for your mood and overall mental health. Try to add various colors to your plate and emphasize fruits, whole grains, veggies, lean meat, fish, nuts, eggs, and beans.
- Get moving: You don’t have to play a sport or run a marathon to take advantage of this activity. A short, brisk walk around your neighborhood or at a local park can work just as well, and you may notice this simple act of movement uplifts your mood.
Scheduling Therapy at Thriveworks Counseling in Memphis, TN
If you are ready to start a relationship with a trained, professional, and caring depression counselor, Thriveworks Counseling in Memphis, TN is prepared to help. At Thriveworks, our goal is to help you live a happy and successful life. To accomplish this and more, we offer our clients benefits like same- or next-day appointments, flexible schedules, online counseling, text support via our Success Navigator, and much more.
To get started, simply call our office. One of our scheduling specialists will help you find an appointment that best works for you. Let us help you get out of the dark and back into the light of your life!