If you walk by the park on a sunny day, you’ll probably spot a few families enjoying the good weather. Maybe there’s a father pushing his daughter on the swings, two women enjoying a picnic in the shade, and a family of eight getting ready for a soccer game.
You might also overhear an argument or two. The father-daughter duo might not see eye-to-eye about when to leave for lunch, or the family’s children could be in a heated debate over who plays goalie first.
When you think of your own family, you might picture your parents, siblings, spouse, or children. Whoever they are, a family can be there to celebrate your victories, comfort you during hardship, and occasionally lead you out of your comfort zone. But sometimes family relationships are a source of tension rather than a haven from it.
The good news is you don’t have to manage these moments of disagreement or difficulty by yourself. Mental health professionals can help you resolve conflict and strengthen your emotional ties through group and individual therapy or counseling sessions.
If you want to explore your options for family therapy or counseling, consider working with one of the licensed providers at Thriveworks Counseling in Longmont, CO. Use our online scheduling tool or call our office today to set up your first appointment.
Common Reasons Why Families Seek Therapy or Counseling
Families usually come to therapy or counseling for a wide variety of reasons. Many factors can contribute, like social, financial, and emotional stressors. When left unchecked, these stressors can create long-term issues.
Working with a mental health professional can help families find support during difficult times. Many families choose therapy or counseling because:
- A trauma or change has impacted the entire family. This includes events like natural disasters, incarceration of a family member, or major loss of income.
- A child is struggling with something in life.
- The loss of a loved one has caused intense sadness and grief.
- They are in the process of welcoming new family members to the home through marriage, the birth or adoption of a sibling, or a grandparent moving in.
- Divorce, separation, or differing parenting styles have affected their family’s harmony.
- They want to better understand and support a family member’s mental health.
There are many reasons why families choose to attend counseling or therapy sessions. Remember that mental health services are accessible for more than the most severe cases. Asking for help can be empowering and lead to unexpected outcomes for your family.
The Benefits of Working With a Licensed Family Therapist
Family counseling and therapy frequently result in happier, healthier families. You may gain collaborative skills, set clear boundaries, and discover new perspectives by working with a licensed counselor. Here are a few common therapeutic techniques and their takeaways:
- Bowenian Therapy: This form of therapy focuses on balancing togetherness and individuality. It draws a line through a family’s current situation to their shared values and beliefs. Bowenian Therapy helps family members manage conflict calmly, form individual identities, and work together to solve problems.
- Structural therapy: Structural therapy aims to evaluate and reassert roles within family systems. For example, parents may be asked to exercise their authority by creating reasonable guidelines for children.
- Systemic therapy: A therapist or counselor serves as a neutral third party in this model, sharing a new perspective on disagreements. Systemic therapy may improve communication and increase empathy for other family members.
- Strategic therapy: This direct and short-term therapeutic method is best for addressing specific issues. A counselor may prescribe homework to change negative behavior patterns and interactions that worsen the given problem.
It’s okay to ask your counselor any questions you may have about their experience and methods. Together, you can create a plan of action for your own family. That may involve certain members meeting one-on-one with your provider or seeking additional sessions for mental health needs.
Schedule Family Therapy Sessions in Longmont, CO
You can find surprising solutions through family therapy. Mental health professionals specializing in family dynamics at Thriveworks Counseling in Longmont, CO, are eager to help their clients overcome their issues and grow closer together as a family.
We offer appointments throughout the week, including evenings and weekend sessions. Our providers accept many forms of health insurance, and new clients can often meet with a provider within 24-48 hours of reaching out. If something prevents you from traveling to a counseling center, online appointment options are available through phone calls and video chats.
Additionally, you may contact your provider between sessions using text or email to help you make progress on your own schedule. Our members can access great perks like exclusive video content and a 24-hour Q+A with a life coach. There’s also text message assistance for booking and billing services.
Simply call or contact us online using our booking tool to schedule an appointment at Thriveworks Counseling in Longmont, CO. One of our team members can help you set up your first session.