Family therapy is an important resource for people struggling to work things out with their family. While addressing these issues may involve a certain level of discomfort, it can also have a profound impact on your life in both the short and long term.
You may feel like there’s no hope of your family ever getting along and moving past your issues. It can be difficult to imagine a better future when you’re in the heat of the moment. But the marriage and family therapists at Thriveworks Irving can help you take the healing process one step at a time.
If you’re experiencing conflict with family members and are ready to make a change, consider reaching out to our professional family counselors at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry in Irving, TX.
Should I Go to Therapy for Family Issues?
There is no right or wrong time to seek out family therapy. Every family is different, and what may feel comfortable for you may be unbearable for someone else. When considering family therapy, it can help to ask yourself following questions:
- Do you find yourself having the same arguments over and over again without any real resolution?
- Do you feel resentful towards your family for something that happened years ago?
- Are you avoiding family functions because you feel judged or simply can’t get along with other family members?
- Has your relationship with your children been negatively impacted by a divorce, a major life transition, or a death in the family?
- Is a physical illness or mental health issue causing difficulties for the rest of the family?
If you are facing difficult issues and would like the insight of a trained professional, you may benefit from the perspective and guidance of our counselors.
People decide to start family therapy for a variety of reasons. These are just a few of the specific issues that prompt people to seek out family therapy:
- Parenting issues
- Communication difficulties
- Death in the family
- Mental illness
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Big life changes
- Divorce or separation
- Long term grudges or resentments
- Arguments that don’t resolve
- Behavioral problems
- Trauma or abuse
If you find yourself in a tricky family situation and feel “stuck,” speaking to an experienced family counselor can be the first step towards healing. The compassionate mental health professionals at Thriveworks Counseling in Irving, TX are here to help.
What Is the Difference Between Family Counseling and Family Therapy?
In terms of processes and function, family counseling and family therapy are essentially the same. In fact, the two terms are often used interchangeably.
If there is any difference to account for between the two, it would be the credentialing implied by each term. Though therapists and counselors have very similar functions, their technical titles are different.
Degrees for therapy and those for counseling are different, which means that the education and qualifications earned in each degree or position are somewhat different, though they both perform the essential function of providing what we know as “therapy.”
Family Therapy: How It Works
No two families are exactly alike. Our family therapists take time to get to know your family and understand your unique dynamics before creating a customized path forward. You’ll be able to talk about your worries and feelings in a safe, confidential environment. Your therapist can help facilitate difficult conversations, mediate conflicts, and heal deep wounds.
Family counseling can help your family get through a difficult period, but it can also teach you long-lasting skills that you can take with you into the future. You may learn how to validate your family members, solve problems more effectively, and communicate in a nonjudgmental manner. Step by step, you can build stronger bonds with your loved ones and develop more meaningful relationships.
Is There Family Therapy Near Me? Family Therapy at Thriveworks in Irving, TX
If your family is facing some level of disharmony or struggle, our family counselors at Thriveworks in Irving, TX are here to help.
When it comes to marriage and family therapy, we’re here to make sure the experience is as positive and convenient as possible. We offer in-person or virtual appointments so you can better fit family therapy sessions into everyone’s schedule. We also offer day and evening hours during the week and on weekends.
Thrivewors also offers other unique benefits to our clients, such as:
- Making therapy and psychiatry more affordable by taking many forms of health insurance
- Easy scheduling using our online booking tool — or you can call in to talk to our friendly scheduling specialists
- Evidence-based therapy and psychiatry from expert mental health professionals
- Fast booking turnaround: Most Thriveworks clients see a provider within a week of scheduling
If you want to improve communication and strengthen your family relationships, experienced counselors are standing by at Thriveworks Counseling in Irving, TX. Schedule an appointment today.