The author Arthur Somers Roche once stated, “Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.” At first, anxiety might be adaptive. It’s a sign that something might be wrong and that a person needs to be on their guard. But if a state of anxiety is prolonged, it can veer into unhealthy territory, leading to negative psychological and physical outcomes. An anxious person might constantly battle excessive worry, fear, stomachaches, headaches, panic attacks, and more. Fortunately, maladaptive anxiety is highly treatable.
The licensed anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Huntington Beach, CA diagnose and treat anxiety with compassion and expertise. Sometimes it’s necessary to explore the origins of mental health conditions like anxiety and depression in order to manage ongoing symptoms. Types of therapy like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help identify the source of anxiety and train clients to think differently in response to stressful stimuli. Therapy can help prevent future anxiety episodes by teaching effective coping skills and strategies.
Guide to Providers Who Help with Anxiety
Anxiety therapists can belong to a number of different mental health specialties. Many providers specialize in treating anxiety because the mental health condition is so prevalent. At Thriveworks in Huntington Beach, CA, the following types of mental health providers are available to develop treatment plans for clients:
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who can treat anxiety with psychotherapy and/or prescription medication
- Psychologists (usually PhDs or PsyDs), who can treat anxiety with psychotherapy approaches like CBT
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who can help clients with coping skills to reduce anxiety
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who can address the interpersonal relationships that anxiety might affect
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who can provide guidance and counseling for people affected by anxiety
How Do I Know If My Anxiety Is a Disorder?
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), anxiety becomes generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) when a person experiences the following symptoms:
- Extreme, uncontrollable anxiety and worry
- Three or more of the following symptoms:
- Restlessness or feeling keyed up
- Being easily fatigued
- Attention difficulties
- Muscle tension
- Sleep disturbances
- Symptoms of anxiety can’t be better explained by another type of anxiety disorder like the following:
- Panic disorder and panic attacks
- Social anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Separation anxiety
- Anorexia nervosa
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Symptoms cause significant distress or impairment in one’s life
- Symptoms aren’t caused by a substance or another medical condition
Is There a Cure for Anxiety?
Mental health providers don’t typically speak of “cures” when they talk about mental health conditions. But anxiety is highly treatable and millions of people with a history of anxiety lead successful, fulfilling lives. The top-rated providers at Thriveworks in Huntington Beach, CA may use any of the following evidence-based treatments to help people who are feeling anxious, whether their symptoms are mild or acute:
- CBT (often a first-line anxiety treatment)
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias of objects or situations (also called systematic desensitization)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Psychotropic medication like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Meditation and deep breathing
- Progressive muscle relaxation techniques
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
- Panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Applied relaxation training (ART)
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle modifications dealing with nutrition and exercise
- Family therapy or couples counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- Depression counseling
Manage Your Anxiety Symptoms with a Therapist at Thriveworks in Huntington Beach, CA
Anxiety can interfere with daily functioning and happiness by placing people in a fight or flight mode that might not correspond to rational threats, or even to reality. But the anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Huntington Beach, CA can help. The mental health providers at Thriveworks are recruited from the top 4% of applicants. They excel at compassionately treating a diverse population with a wide range of life issues, situations, and mental health conditions.
Thriveworks providers can meet with new clients quickly. Most Thriveworks clients can see their therapist within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. Thriveworks accepts most major forms of health insurance coverage, so more clients can receive the premium, affordable care they deserve. For clients paying out of pocket, Thriveworks offers competitive self-pay rates.
Thriveworks clients can choose to meet their counselors in-person at the modern office in Huntington Beach. They can also opt for online counseling, which is of the same length and quality as traditional counseling, just more comfortable and convenient for many people. Thriveworks providers are available by phone and email between appointments so clients can easily reach them when necessary.
Don’t delay the care you need for your anxiety. Get back to living your life to the fullest with help from the exceptional team at Thriveworks.