The author Wayne Dyer once stated, “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” This quote recognizes the importance of cognition in our well-being. For example, many people with anxiety see reality in a threatening way. They might see an airplane as the vehicle that will surely deliver them to their doom, rather than as a vehicle that will safely deliver them to their destination. The perception of someone with acute anxiety doesn’t necessarily reflect logic or reality. And yet their perception of danger has the power to interfere with their daily functioning. All this is to say that the way a person looks at things isn’t set in stone. Perception can be changed with anxiety therapy.
The licensed anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI work everyday with people who experience both mild and acute anxiety disorders. The exceptional mental health providers at Thriveworks use expertise and compassion to help put their clients on the road to recovery so they can achieve their full potential. Anxiety is one of the most common mental health conditions, but fortunately it’s also one of the most treatable. The team at Thriveworks can give people the short-term or long-term support they need to reach their goals.
How Is Anxiety Diagnosed?
Anxiety is diagnosed by symptoms, and different types of anxiety may have differing symptoms. For example, the symptoms for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders are as follows:
- Excessive anxiety and worry that’s difficult to control.
- Three or more of the following are present:
- Restlessness or feeling edgy or keyed up
- Being easily fatigued
- Attention difficulties or mind going blank
- Muscle tension
- Sleep disturbances
- The focus on the anxiety can’t be better explained by another type of anxiety disorder like the following:
- Panic disorder and panic attacks
- Social anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Separation anxiety
- Anorexia nervosa
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- The symptoms cause significant distress or impairment
- The symptoms aren’t caused by a substance or a medical condition
Anxiety may also generate physical symptoms like migraines, sweating, nausea, or shortness of breath. Some people with anxiety suffer from digestive difficulties like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
A highly qualified, fully licensed anxiety therapist at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI can evaluate a client’s symptoms and determine what kind of anxiety a person is experiencing and what the best course of treatment might be.
What Therapy Is Best for Anxiety?
There are many effective, evidence-based approaches to successfully managing or overcoming anxiety. The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI may utilize any of the following types of therapy:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias of objects or situations (also called systematic desensitization)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Psychiatric medication like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Holistic treatments like meditation and deep breathing
- Relaxation techniques like progressive muscle relaxation
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
- Panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Applied relaxation training (ART)
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle modifications
- Family therapy or couples counseling
A treatment plan at Thriveworks always prioritizes a client’s goals and wishes. Courses of treatment can always change based on client feedback. Because anxiety and depression can sometimes occur together, a therapist may have experience treating both conditions.
How Does CBT Work?
Cognitive behavioral therapy is a way of identifying and modifying maladaptive thinking patterns that might lead to symptoms of anxiety. For example, someone might have particular life-and-death beliefs about what will happen if they’re in an unfamiliar situation. A therapist at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI can help the client get to the origins of those beliefs and work to substitute healthier, more rational expectations.
Get Affordable Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI
The anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI are selected from the most qualified 4% of applicants so they’re always at the top of their field. The mental health providers at Thriveworks accept most major forms of health insurance coverage, which means they can offer clients premium care at the most affordable rates.
When a new client calls the Thriveworks office, a provider can usually see them within 24-48 hours. Thriveworks prides itself on this quick turnaround time because it means that the people who are brave enough to ask for help can get support as soon as possible. Thriveworks therapists are also accessible to their clients by phone and email between sessions. They can see clients through online counseling sessions, which are just as comprehensive as in-person sessions. They can also see clients in-person at the modern office in Greenfield. Clients can choose whatever approach is most convenient and comfortable for them.
Anxiety can interfere with life in the worst way by taking the joy out of everyday moments. Start your recovery from anxiety today by calling the Thriveworks office. We look forward to helping you!