The psychologist Erik Erikson stated, “The more you know yourself, the more patience you have for what you see in others.” Families are supposed to be a safe place where people can learn who they are. But that process happens at the same time that individuals are part of a larger whole–the family unit. And at times the group dynamics can be affected by personal dynamics, and vice versa. It’s a complicated ecosystem by all accounts. Sometimes the issues within a family can be overwhelming. No matter how smart or wise a family member is, they may just be too emotionally close to a situation to see it clearly. That’s when a qualified family therapist can step in and help.
The family therapists at Thriveworks in Greenfield, Wi have the skills, psychological insights, and experience to help families navigate complex issues and deepen their relationships. Family therapy is an extraordinary service that facilitates discussion between family members and can enhance mutual understanding, reinforce strengths, and find solutions to interpersonal issues.
What Does Family Counseling Do?
Family counseling is different for every family, depending on the goals that family members bring to therapy sessions. For example, Family A lives in harmony and equilibrium 99% of the time, but the parents want to make sure their teenage son feels comfortable being his authentic self at home since he shared with everyone that he was gay. So they ask a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI to facilitate that sensitive discussion. Family B is struggling with a parent’s alcohol use disorder (AUD) and emotional outbursts. The kids are beginning to act out at school. The alcoholic parent wants to do better, but they don’t have the tools to manage their emotions, and they need help. The parent calls a Thriveworks family therapist for support and guidance.
Marriage and family therapy at Thriveworks can solve problems and develop workable treatment plans for struggling families, often in fewer than 12 sessions. Family members may arrive with diverse goals for therapy, but here are some common ones:
- To heal or reconcile
- To improve communication
- To reduce conflict and tension
- To handle special family situations
- To forgive, or ask for forgiveness
- To establish healthy boundaries
- To manage anger and other emotions
- To process grief or trauma together
- To build or rebuild trust in each other
- To process a family member’s sexual identity
- To get support for substance abuse
- To explore the origins of misunderstandings
Therapy services can range from short term to long term, depending on the family’s needs. Sometimes a family therapist can identify a family member who could benefit from individual therapy, psychiatry, counseling, or social work.
What Can Family Therapy Help With?
It’s often the case that a particular issue brings couples or family members to an LMFT at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI. Sometimes the specific issue is a symptom of something deeper within the family system that a mental health professional can help draw out. Common issues that might cause a family to seek out therapy include the following:
- Mood disorders
- Postpartum depression
- Financial stress
- Marital stress
- Work stress
- Sibling jealousy
- Juvenile delinquency or crime
- Conflict and tension in family relationships
- Emotional or verbal abuse
- Chronic illness
- Caregiver burnout
- Eating disorders
- Acting out and behavioral problems
- Neurodiverse children issues
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Personality clashes
- Unhealthy parenting styles
How to Find the Best Family Therapist?
When you begin your search for the right family therapist, you should begin with a few basic criteria:
- The therapist should be fully licensed. All the mental health providers at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI are fully licensed in Wisconsin.
- Family therapy should be within your price range. Thriveworks providers accept health insurance coverage from most major plans and offer competitive self-pay rates.
- The family therapy sessions should be convenient and comfortable for all. Thriveworks counseling sessions can take place in-person at the modern office in Greenfield, or virtually through secure, HIPAA compliant online counseling sessions.
Reinforce Relationships with Family Therapy at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI
Family therapy can be one of the best ways to work through family issues quickly and effectively with the least amount of emotional fallout. Family bonds can grow and deepen through the services of an exceptional family therapist at Thriveworks in Greenfield, WI. New clients who call the office today may be able to meet with their top-rated counselor as early as tomorrow. Most clients can see their therapist within 24-48 hours of their initial call. Thriveworks clients can also access their counselor by phone or email between sessions.
Show your family that you prioritize its overall well-being by booking a family therapy session at Thriveworks. We look forward to helping you and your family members reinforce your bonds.