It is natural to feel fear and apprehension as a response to stress. Many things, such as an upcoming presentation at work or school, moving to a different city, or attending a job interview can all cause anxiety.
In cases like these, a little anxiety can help push us to overcome challenges, solve problems, and perform well. However, anxiety can sometimes linger, creating lasting stress even with nothing to worry about.
If you’ve ever felt constantly anxious for an extended period of time, you know it can be overwhelming. Long-term anxiety and stress can adversely affect your physical and mental health. People with anxiety may feel like they’re always on edge, have difficulty concentrating, or experience a range of other symptoms. It can be easy to dismiss these feelings as a natural part of life but they could also be a sign that you are suffering from a mental illness.
Fortunately, there are a number of ways to treat anxiety. At Thriveworks in Bentonville, AR, we offer therapy for anxiety to help alleviate the short and long-term effects of this disorder.
You don’t have to live with anxiety, nor do you have to face it alone. Our professionals are here to help you get control of your life back.
The Most Common Causes and Types of Anxiety
Anxiety symptoms may vary from person to person, as can the initial cause of an anxiety disorder. Factors that may contribute to anxiety include frequent stress, genetics, medication, illness, and trauma, among others.
If you feel you may be struggling with anxiety, look for one or more of the following common symptoms:
- Increased heart rate
- Trouble concentrating
- Feelings of dread
- Panic attacks
- Changes in eating habits
Symptoms can differ from person to person, even when they are struggling with the same kind of mental illness. However, symptoms can also differ depending on the anxiety disorder, whether it be generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Whatever your symptoms may be, our licensed professionals can help you find a treatment plan that’s right for you. At Thriveworks in Bentonville, AR, our therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists are available to help determine underlying causes of your anxiety, triggers that may make it worse, and coping mechanisms to help reduce anxiety and get you back on track.
How Can Anxiety Therapy Help?
Treating anxiety can involve different treatment options, including medication, talk therapy, and self-care. In some cases, an anxiety disorder may be short-lived and only requires resolving specific issues in your life that are causing you stress. This isn’t always the case, however. There may be underlying factors contributing to your anxiety, which can lead to symptoms for months or even years.
No matter the specifics of your situation, there is no shame in seeking out therapy for anxiety. The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Bentonville, AR can determine which treatment options are best for you.
- Talk therapy: Under the guidance of a licensed professional, talk therapy can help you gain the perspective and skills required to manage certain symptoms of anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT, is a common type of talk therapy used to help clients analyze their ineffective thought patterns that may be leading to harmful behaviors or worsening symptoms. Other types of therapy include exposure therapy, interpersonal therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Medication: For some clients, prescribed medication can help mitigate severe symptoms or adjust for underlying biological factors that may be impacting their condition. Sometimes a comprehensive approach is appropriate, in which case you may be prescribed medication to use in conjunction with talk therapy.
- Self-care: When it comes to your day-to-day life, self-care activities are important to maintain your mental health. Exercise, healthy eating, deep breathing, relaxation techniques, and getting enough sleep can all help to mitigate symptoms and support you on your path to recovery.
The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Bentonville, AR can help you find an anxiety counseling plan that suits your needs, symptoms, and schedule.
Talk With a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Bentonville, AR
If you’re struggling with feelings of anxiety and depression, it may be time to seek professional therapy. Call and you could have an appointment with one of our counselors in as little as 24 hours. We also pride ourselves on convenience and accessibility, accepting many different insurance plans and offering evening and weekend appointments. Sessions can also be held remotely by phone or video chat.
We offer many other benefits for your membership, including:
- Advice between appointments by phone or email
- Access to exclusive video content
- Appointment scheduling through the Success Navigator app
- Community discussions moderated by mental health experts
Anxiety can be challenging, but you can rise above it. The therapists and counselors at Thriveworks in Bentonville, AR are here to help.