Julia has always been an intelligent child and very mature for her age. She’s in the middle of her sophomore year in high school and things haven’t been going well. Julia’s having a lot of trouble getting up in the morning and she’s lost all motivation to do her schoolwork. She spends most of her time sitting around her room and she’s lost interest in painting — something that used to be her favorite hobby.
Julia is showing symptoms of major depressive disorder, a mental health issue that can sap a person’s mood and leave them feeling drained. Have you noticed a change in your child? Working with a mental health professional can help children, adolescents, and teens deal with their issues.
Watching your child go through something difficult in their life can be extremely difficult. We want you to know that support is available — consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Annapolis, MD today to schedule your child’s first appointment with a licensed mental health professional.
Should My Child See a Therapist or Counselor?
Setting up a child therapy or counseling appointment doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with your child or that you’ve failed as a parent. Children have their own struggles, but they are different from what you’ve dealt with in your life. Scheduling a child therapy or counseling appointment can show your son or daughter that you care about their mental health. The mental health habits they learn during sessions can help them develop and grow as they get older.
Our child therapists and counselors can help children and adolescents cope with a variety of mental issues and challenging situations, including:
- Trauma or loss
- Mental disorders like anxiety or depression
- Behavioral issues in school
- Moving to a new school or new town
- Autism testing and diagnosis
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) diagnosis
Your child might be dealing with something else entirely — and that’s ok. Our mental health professionals can diagnose and treat a wide variety of issues and mental disorders. If you think your child could benefit from working with a therapist or counselor, consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Annapolis, MD today.
Child Therapy: What Should I Expect?
Children process their emotions differently from adults. Your child might not be willing to discuss their issues with you over dinner at your house — and that’s normal. Our child therapists and counselors can act as a neutral third party, helping your child understand what they’re going through and move past it.
Many therapy techniques can help children overcome obstacles in their lives, but here are some of the most common:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): This type of therapy focuses on helping people uncover and change unhealthy patterns of thought. CBT is effective in treating a wide variety of mental health issues like anxiety, depression, and substance abuse disorders
- Play therapy: Young children often have trouble communicating their emotions to others. Play therapy helps a child express their feelings through structured play. By observing how a child plays, a trained mental health professional can make a connection and understand how the child feels.
- Family therapy: Sometimes, involving the entire family in the therapeutic process can help a child with something in their life. Family therapy focuses on helping children and their families understand how their choices impact each other.
We know that children are unique, so care will be individualized to your child and their situation. Working with a 5-year-old who’s dealing with a bully is very different from helping a 17-year-old living with severe anxiety. Our mental health professionals can provide compassionate, personalized care for your child so they can conquer their issues.
We want you to know that support is available for your child. If your child is dealing with a difficult situation or showing symptoms of a mental health issue, consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Annapolis, MD today.
Schedule a Child Therapy Session in Annapolis, MD
Do you want to set up a session with one of our trained child therapists or counselors? Call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Annapolis, MD to get started. One of our team members can help you schedule a session at a time that works for you.
We know that scheduling can be difficult for busy families. That’s why we offer evening and weekend sessions so your son or daughter can work with a professional during their downtime. We also provide online sessions and a flexible cancellation policy.
Historically, finding a provider with an open schedule can be difficult. We do things differently — you can get started quickly.
Call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Annapolis, MD to schedule your first appointment. Our mental health professionals can help your child learn and grow in a healthy way.