They are the people who know exactly how to push your buttons. Arguments with them may hurt the most. You can’t choose them, but you wouldn’t want to live without them: family. Most families go through trials and tribulations. It’s not uncommon for you to get upset with your brother or feel instantly stressed when you see that you are getting a call from your mom. Fortunately, certified family therapists have the tools necessary to help you and your loved ones work through the challenges you face.
In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony. –Friedrich Nietzsche
Here at Thriveworks Washington, DC (Georgetown) Counseling, it is our goal to provide your family unit with the care and attention needed to resolve conflict and get to a healthier state of being. If you believe that your family could find value in working with a family therapist, reach out to our office by calling (512) 400-4069 and you’ll be connected with a scheduling specialist.
What Is Family Therapy All About?
Sometimes it is hard to communicate with our family members without getting worked up and ending in a fight. Even though there may be common reasons for you and your family to get into tiffs, it’s beneficial to look at the family unit as a whole in order to best work through your challenges. If you feel like there’s no end in sight to the turmoil in your life, you might consider working with a Thriveworks Washington, DC (Georgetown) family therapist.
Do you want to make a change but don’t know where to start? A family therapist is qualified and highly experienced in addressing the issues that families face. They are able to help you get back to a more harmonious way of life by providing the tools you need to better resolve conflict. Your family therapist will sit down with your family unit and assess each individual’s concerns. Taking an individualized approach will allow for a better understanding of where the friction lies.
This type of therapy is typically short-term. On average, most people finish within nine sessions. During each of your sessions, the topics you discuss may vary, which is also dependent upon who joins that day. It’s important to remember to be patient and open-minded in each session. You and your family can make great progress together with the help of one of our counselors.
What Can Family Therapy Help With?
Whether your family is dealing with a major life change or the development of a mental health condition, there are resources to help you work through it. Family counseling is aimed at helping families address specific problems that are affecting the overall wellbeing and harmony of your household. Here is a list of some challenges that may contribute to your home:
- Abuse, neglect, and/or an addition to drugs or alcohol
- Hormonal changes or disruptive behavior in children
- Financial burdens caused by change or loss in jobs
- Overbearing or untrustworthy parenting that creates rebellious children
- Bickering between siblings that seems to have no end
- Caring for a sick, elderly, or special needs family member
- Lack of discipline due to a single-parent household
- The strain of helping a child with a learning disability such as dyslexia
- Loss of a loved one without having time to heal
- Presence of mental illness in a family member such as anxiety, depression, or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
These are just some of the challenges a family may face. If you are on the fence about seeking the aid of a family counselor, ask yourself these questions: Have I tried everything to mend the relationships of our family and proven unsuccessful? If you answered yes, Thriveworks Washington, DC (Georgetown) has an amazing team of counselors ready to help you with open arms. After receiving help, our goal is to equip you with the tools necessary to:
- Better communicate: Better communication is essential to tearing down the walls and getting to the root of an issue before it gets out of hand
- Actively listen: It can be hard sometimes to sit down and really hear what the other person is saying. Putting aside biases and showing support by actively listening can be a great way to mend relationships
- Compromise effectively: Relationships require compromise – it allows us to come to a mutual agreement that will ensure both sides are happy with decision or conversation in question
Remember, you don’t have to do this alone.
Schedule an Appointment with a Family Therapist at Thriveworks Washington, DC (Georgetown)
If you are ready to put your best foot forward and start down the path of recovery, we are a great place to start. Here at Thriveworks, we strive to provide our clients with the most comprehensive plan of care. We provide a broad range of appointment times and can most often schedule your first appointment within 24 hours of your initial call.
For questions regarding our practice or to schedule your appointment, please give us a call at (512) 400-4069. We can’t wait to hear from you!