What is couples & marriage counseling?
Couples therapy and marriage counseling, also known as relationship counseling, helps couples work through their specific relationship issues. Some examples of common focuses within couples therapy and marriage counseling include:
- Trust issues
- Opposing values
- Different visions for the future
- Disagreements in parenting
- Lack of trust
- Financial distress
- Sex issues
What type of therapy is used in couples therapy?
The types of therapy used in couples and marriage counseling include:
- The Gottman Method
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally-focused therapy (EFT)
- Solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT)
- Strength-based therapy
What kind of therapist is best for couples?
At Thriveworks, Couples & marriage counseling is led by licensed professionals — often licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) — who are experts in their field and best-equipped to help couples.
What is the Gottman Method of couples therapy?
The Gottman Method of couples therapy is a research-supported approach designed to enhance relationships by bolstering the bond between partners, resolving conflicts, and fostering shared meaning in their relationship through comprehensive assessments and tailored interventions that improve communication, trust, and the overall health of the partnership.
How to tell if I need couples therapy?
If you’re facing persistent relationship problems, communication breakdowns, or unresolved conflicts that are impacting your emotional well-being and happiness, Couples & marriage counseling may be beneficial for you.
Should every couple go to couples therapy?
While marriage and couple’s counseling is typically recommended for couples who are experiencing persistent or severe relationship issues, any relationship can benefit from attending these sessions.
Is couples & marriage counseling conducted in person or online?
Marriage and couples counseling at Thriveworks is conducted both in person and online by video. We encourage you to choose the option that works best for you and your partner.
How long does couples & marriage counseling last?
On average, couples attend marriage and couples counseling for 12 weeks. However, couples & marriage counseling may last longer or shorter, dependent on the couples’ needs, the challenges they’d like to work through, and the pace of their progress.
How much does couples & marriage counseling cost?
At Thriveworks, we take most major forms of insurance, which means that many of our clients only pay $0-$50 co-pay per session. However, there are also self-pay options that sit around $200 per session, depending on the service and location, for those who are out-of-network.
Need more help deciding?
Marriage and Couples Counseling in Tallahassee, FL
If you know you’re struggling with an issue but are stuck figuring out how to fix it, the expertise and advice of Thriveworks Tallahassee’s marriage and couples therapists could offer relief and lasting solutions.
Common Relationship Issues
The couples counselors at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Tallahassee often see similar issues occurring with many different married couples. Of course, each partnership’s circumstances are unique, but the themes have a lot in common.
Accordingly, their experience can often help spouses achieve resolution with issues such as:
- Differing Expectations – Partners often share different expectations and values. This means that, without clear communication and respect, they may be pulling toward different goals. When one partner is pulling the relationship in one direction and the other partner is pulling in the other direction, tension is inevitable. Couples can learn to respect each other in their differences and pull together, toward the same goals.
- Disagreements about Family – Conflict with the in-laws may be a cliché, but there is usually some truth behind the stereotype. Disagreements about extended family can pull a couple apart. Depending upon where the relationship is, the couple may also have difficulty agreeing upon other family issues such as living situations, children, parenting, and marriage.
- Communication Difficulties – Being open, empathetic, and vulnerable are valuable communication skills, but some partners have never learned how to communicate well. Other times, partners know how to communicate well, but they have taken their relationship for granted so they do not put the effort into good communication.
- Difficulty with Intimacy – Intimacy certainly involves a couple’s physical relationship, but it also includes so much more. Intimacy can be any kind of meaningful connection. It can be emotional, physical, social, spiritual, and more. Cultivating intimacy takes care and intentionality, and couples can all too easily have difficulty with intimacy.
- Distrust – Small things can erode trust, such as forgetting an important appointment. Whether the rift is big or small, distrust is a big issue with many couples. Trust can be re-established, but it takes consistent behavior and time.
How Could Relationship Counseling Help?
Whether the challenge is distrust, disagreement, different expectations, or something else, many challenges are simply growth opportunities. When partners have a skilled marriage therapist, they can often navigate these challenges and move forward with their relationship. How might marriage therapists help?
- By establishing a reasonable timeline for change. Some adjustments need to be made sooner rather than later. Other changes take time. An experienced couples therapist can guide partners on which changes to make and when.
- By de-escalating the conflict. When couples are in the middle of tension, they can all too often attack each other instead of the problem. Couples therapists have many exercises that allow the couple to de-escalate the tension and work together as they solve the problem.
Schedule Couples Counseling with Thriveworks Tallahassee Today
If you and your significant other are experiencing tension, consider reaching out for help. Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry is ready to help. We have appointments available for couples therapy. When you contact our office, know that many new clients have their first appointment within 24 hours. We offer weekend and evening sessions, but we do not put our clients on a waitlist. Instead, when you call, a scheduling specialist will answer and help you make an appointment. We also accept many forms of insurance.
Let’s work together on your relationship. Call Thriveworks Counseling in Dallas today for couples therapy, marriage counseling, premarital counseling, or another form of relationship counseling.