Because everyone feels anxious from time to time, people with an anxiety disorder sometimes dismiss their feelings. They tell themselves that what they’re feeling doesn’t deserve special attention because fear is a natural response to perceived threats.
But an anxiety disorder is not the same as the occasional worry. People with anxiety have an insistent, nagging worry that can prevent them from getting to know others, focusing on tasks, or trying new things.
This anxiety can manifest in different ways. People with separation anxiety disorder, for example, may be fearful of letting a spouse out of their sight after the recent and unexpected death of a sibling. A person with agoraphobia, on the other hand, may have a fear of being in a tight space such as an airplane or elevator.
Regardless of how your anxiety presents itself, know that you aren’t alone. Celebrities from Stephen Colbert to Taraji P. Henson have experienced anxiety in one form or another. With professional care and an open mind, you can treat your anxiety disorder and clear a path to an engaged and purposeful life. To get started, consider calling us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX. We would love to help you gain control over your anxiety symptoms and build a brighter future.
What Causes Different Types of Anxiety?
Anxiety is often used as a catchall term for a group of anxiety disorders. While many of these disorders share common symptoms, each has differences that make treating them unique.
Some of the more common types of anxiety include:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): This is characterized by the persistent, uncontrollable worry that something bad will happen. Stress, childhood abuse, stimulants, and genetics can all contribute to GAD.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): This form of anxiety can be caused when you experience or witness a traumatic event. Although it’s often associated with soldiers who have gone through a war, PTSD can be experienced by anyone.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): OCD is characterized by the ritualizing and repeating of tasks or behaviors to block or satisfy undesired thoughts. Genetics, childhood abuse, and trauma can all contribute to OCD.
- Social anxiety disorder: People with social anxiety disorder experience extreme fear of everyday social interactions such as attending a birthday party, going to a store, or giving a presentation. It may be the result of bullying, genetics, abuse, or a combination of factors.
- Panic disorder. This is characterized by sudden and overwhelming feelings of fear. Panic disorders often induce panic attacks, which have physical symptoms such as heavy breathing, dizziness, and chest pain. Overwhelming stress, genetics, and trauma may cause this type of disorder.
- A phobia is the fear of certain objects, situations, or people, often due to negative experiences with the feared object. Stress, genetics, and learned behaviors can also play a role.
No matter what form of anxiety you may be facing, therapy can help. To see a mental health professional, please contact us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
What To Expect When Treating Your Anxiety
People with anxiety often feel that treatment is impossible or think that the prospect of getting help is overwhelming. That’s why we do everything we can to provide exceptional care and make the process as seamless as possible.
We also provide treatment in a way that considers your individual symptoms, concerns, and goals. No two people experience anxiety in precisely the same way, so no two treatment plans will look exactly the same either.
Your provider will ask questions that get to the heart of your anxiety. From there, they will customize a treatment plan that incorporates one or more forms of talk therapy, prescription medication, or a combination of treatment modalities.
Some forms of therapy used to treat anxiety include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Interpersonal therapy
These and other treatments can help reduce your anxiety and empower you on your journey forward. Treatment begins soon after you schedule an appointment with a professional at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX. Call us whenever you’re ready to begin.
Reduce Your Anxiety — Schedule an Appointment at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX
Anxiety counseling is designed to address your worries, whatever they may be. Whether you’re dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder or a specific phobia, your provider will choose a treatment plan that is tailored to your needs.
Clients can schedule weekday or weekend appointments, and we even offer evening sessions. To better accommodate your schedule, our offices have convenient opening and closing times and we also offer online sessions via video or phone.
Online features include educational video content, a moderated message board, and a life coaching Q&A service. You’ll be given your provider’s email and phone number should you need to contact them between sessions. We accept various types of insurance and offer a flexible cancellation policy.
Call us today at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX to begin therapy for your anxiety. New clients can often meet with a provider within 24-48 hours. We look forward to seeing you soon.