Pooler, GA—Depression Counselors
We all feel sad or down sometimes. After a breakup with a significant other, or when we get into a fight with a friend. When we find out about an elder family member passing, or simply when things don’t go our way. But sometimes, this sad feeling isn’t mere sadness—it’s despair, and it’s accompanied by other feelings like hopelessness, insignificance, and guilt. Furthermore, it comes with a troubling disinterest in work, in school, in daily activities that the individual used to thoroughly enjoy. Sometimes, it’s depression—which doesn’t often pass quickly or easily. Instead, it often takes asking for help to get over the obstacle that is depression.
“Sometimes, asking for help is the most meaningful example of self-reliance.”
The good news is that there are mental health professionals dedicated to helping people with depression. Counseling has proven to effectively treat depression, as it helps individuals understand where their depression stems from and how they can better manage their symptoms. Ultimately, depression counseling helps those affected by the illness to live a happier, more successful life.
If you think that you might be depressed and could benefit from working with a depression counselor, reach out to Thriveworks Pooler. The depression counselors at Thriveworks Pooler have a unique skillset and extensive experience to assist you in your battle with this illness.
Diagnosing Depression: Signs and Symptoms
Depression is a mood disorder that affects how you feel, think, and act. As we touched on above, those with depression enter an intense state of despair and lose interest in daily activities, even those they once loved. In addition, these individuals may present the following symptoms:
- Tiredness or lack of energy
- Diminished appetite
- Significant changes in weight
- Restlessness or fatigue
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Difficulty sleeping
- Suicidal thoughts or ideation
Depression can vary in severity, but often, these symptoms significantly interfere with an individual’s normal functioning. For this reason, it’s important that you seek treatment for depression if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms. Remember, the depression counselors at Thriveworks Pooler are here to help.
How Can Depression Counseling Help?
We touched on the goals of depression counseling: to help individuals manage their symptoms, understand why they may be feeling depressed, and ultimately live happier as well as healthier. But how are these goals accomplished? Here’s how counselors work to guide you toward a better life:
- Counselors can help you understand negative thinking patterns, which often contribute to or even worsen depressive states.
- They can also help you to understand what areas of your life aren’t being fulfilled and how you can tend to them to improve overall quality of life.
- Counselors can encourage you to get involved in activities that make you happy: exercise classes, social events, outdoor adventures, etc.
- They can also help you come up with and implement techniques for managing harmful symptoms that accompany depression.
- Counselors can help you identify personal warning signs for depression, so that you know when your condition may be worsening.
- They can teach you how to better handle emotions that contribute to depression, such as anger or disappointment.
You will discuss your presentation of symptoms with your counselor at Thriveworks Pooler as well as your goals for therapy. Then, they will design treatment to best help you manage your depression and live a better life moving forward. This goes to show that they truly care about your health and wellbeing. Remember: their ultimate goal is to step in, assist, and make a meaningful difference in your life.
Schedule a Depression Counseling Session at Thriveworks Pooler
If you are dealing with depression (or think that you might be developing symptoms), it’s important that you get professional help. The counselors at Thriveworks Pooler want to join you in this battle and help you defeat depression. Their expertise, training, experience, and caring nature will enable them to help you reach your goals and accomplish the central goal of living better.
Are you ready to schedule an appointment with a depression counselor at Thriveworks Pooler? All you have to do is give us a call. You’ll speak with a scheduling specialist who will set you up with a provider. We look forward to it.