When Maggie’s father died suddenly, she fell into a black hole of sadness for several months. She thought she might benefit from depression counseling, and scheduled her first session.
Maggie discovered that she was able to talk about her grief and receive expert guidance about how to move forward with her life. And although she was still bereaved, she could see a path forward, and was better equipped to cope with his absence.
If you’re feeling depressed, consider reaching out to Thriveworks in Minneapolis, MN for depression counseling. We’ll work to match you with a depression counselor who can help you find ways to take care of your mental health and reclaim your life and wellbeing.
What Is Depression Counseling?
Depression counseling helps to treat the many symptoms and effects of depression, and in some cases, depressive disorders. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), major depressive disorder affects more than 16 million American adults every year. However, there are many other different types of depression, including:
- Minor depression
- Postpartum depression
- Bipolar depression
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Persistent depressive disorder (PDD)
Each type of depression requires a different clinical playbook. Fortunately, depression counselors at Thriveworks in Minneapolis, MN, can apply their extensive knowledge to whatever symptoms you’re experiencing, offering you expert care through depression counseling.
How Does Depression Counseling Work?
Depression therapy can help you understand how your mood influences the overall way you see and interact with the world. A therapist can work with you to help find practical ways of managing—and ultimately conquering—those overwhelming feelings of sadness, insecurity, or helplessness.
Depression counseling can assist you if you’re seeing changes to your:
- Sleeping habits, including if you’re sleeping too much or having insomnia
- Libido, such as losing your sex drive
- Eating habits, like eating too much or too little
- Finances, including spending too much as a form of “retail therapy”
- Employment—it’s not uncommon to lose a job when you’re too depressed to work
- Physical health, as depression can cause physical symptoms like headaches and digestion issues
You don’t have to continually endure the pain of depression when there may be a positive solution that depression counseling can provide. For instance, a Thriveworks depression counselor in Minneapolis, MN, can evaluate your symptoms and determine what counseling approach will work best for your needs.
This might involve cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), (interpersonal therapy), or another counseling method. An accurate diagnosis is important because it will determine what treatment plans will help you begin your recovery journey through depression therapy.
Schedule Depression Treatment at Thriveworks in Minneapolis, MN
Remember that you are not alone, and your mood can turn around with proper treatment. Call Thriveworks today to set up your first depression counseling appointment.
Thriveworks offers added benefits like:
- In-network coverage with most insurance providers
- Mental health help when and where you need it
- Instant scheduling for both in person and online sessions
- The ability to schedule online or by phone
- Personalized mental health care for your unique needs
You can book online or on the phone. Thriveworks depression counselors are top-rated, credentialed, and have your best mental health outcome in mind—and they’re looking forward to working with you.