Maybe you have trouble getting up in the morning, preferring to hide under your covers rather than face the day. Maybe you feel like you’ve lost some of the joy in life. A lot of people experience feelings like these and ask themselves, “Are these symptoms of depression?”
The question can be difficult to ask but this form of mental illness is more common than you might realize — it’s one of the most pervasive mental health disorders in the United States. Depression can affect anyone, from friends and family members to neighbors and colleagues. Even some of the biggest celebrities and most successful people in the world suffer from mental health issues.
Jon Hamm is just one well-known actor who has struggled with feelings of depression throughout his life. He said one of the roughest patches of his life occurred after he lost his father. But Hamm didn’t want his mental illness to control his life so he decided to seek mental health services. He deeply believes it is a strength — not a weakness — to admit you need help and to do something about it.
If you are struggling with depression symptoms, consider making an appointment at Thriveworks in Long Beach, CA. With help from our trained mental health professionals, you can begin confronting your depression as soon as you are ready.
Depression Symptoms: What To Look Out For
Symptoms of depression can vary from person to person, but common threads do exist. Some symptoms can manifest in physical ways, like stomach pains, headaches, muscle aches, and fatigue. Others are felt more emotionally, such as deep feelings of hopelessness or despair.
Here are some of the most common symptoms to look out for:
- Thoughts of suicide or self-harm
- Excessive irritability
- Excessive levels of guilt or low self-worth
- Sleeplessness or oversleeping
- Loss of appetite or binge-eating
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Difficulty concentrating
- Persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness
What can cause depression? Perhaps you have experienced a traumatic life event, lost someone close to you, or are having relationship troubles. Maybe you are facing a physical ailment that is having a debilitating effect on your mental health. Or maybe you don’t understand the reasons for your depression symptoms at all, and that’s okay, too.
At Thriveworks, our counselors and therapists can treat many forms of depressive disorders. Among them:
- Major depressive disorder: This is often characterized by overwhelming feelings of sadness. Symptoms can include excessive guilt, significant fatigue, or loss of appetite. It is considered the most diagnosed form of depression.
- Persistent depressive disorder: This form of depression is characterized by similar symptoms as major depressive disorder, but they may last for two years or longer.
- Postpartum depression: New parents can develop the “baby blues” but this form of depression goes much deeper than that. Chronic anxiety and exhaustion are common signs of postpartum depression, as are deep feelings of inadequacy as a parent.
If some of these symptoms or mood disorders sound familiar, the time could be right to seek out depression counseling services at Thriveworks in Long Beach, CA.
Can I Benefit From Depression Therapy?
Millions of people seek treatment for depression every year. Discussing depression symptoms and learning ways to adjust and cope with them can feel empowering and incredibly liberating.
Mental health professionals use several types of talk therapy to treat depression. Under a therapist’s supervision, clients gain awareness of the issues that are causing them distress and learn how to make healthy changes.
One common form of talk therapy is called cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT, in which a therapist guides you toward identifying harmful thoughts and understanding how they impact your feelings and behaviors. Other forms of therapy can help teach coping skills and distress tolerance skills to better handle day-to-day symptoms.
Medications are also prescribed to treat depression, sometimes by themselves and sometimes in tandem with therapy. Your Thriveworks professional will determine whether medication is necessary based on the specifics of your situation. At Thriveworks in Long Beach, CA, our counselors have the experience to customize a treatment plan that is right for you.
Meet With a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Long Beach, CA
At Thriveworks, we know depression can feel overwhelming so we make it as easy as possible to get started with depression counseling. Our providers offer extended hours during the week and on weekends, and we can often see new clients within 48 hours of an initial call.
We also have online therapy sessions available if you don’t have time for an in-person appointment or are more comfortable taking one remotely. Clients can decide between phone calls and video chats, depending on what is most convenient for them.
Thriveworks accepts many major insurance plans and offers additional enrollment benefits, including the following:
- A flexible cancellation policy
- Advice via phone or email throughout the week
- Life coaching via our Q&A
- A mobile app to assist with appointment and billing questions
- Community message boards moderated by counselors
- Free access to our eBook, “Leaving Depression Behind”
Depressive episodes can be frightening but you don’t have to face them alone. When you’re ready, the mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Long Beach, CA, are here to help.