Jen has always been a joyful person, but recently things in her life haven’t been going as planned. Her beloved cat passed away, her relationship is on the rocks, and she’s worried about her sister’s recent cancer diagnosis. She also calls in sick to work at least once a week and is either too tired to get out of bed or too distracted to complete daily activities.
Even simple tasks like taking the trash out or picking up the mail are hard for Jen. Suddenly, she no longer enjoys the things she used to and finds it difficult to motivate herself to be active in her usually-bubbling social life.
Of course, Jen didn’t plan for any of this to happen all at once. But the accumulation of problems has interfered with the way she lives her everyday life. It’s common to experience sadness or low motivation every once and a while, but if those types of feelings persist, it could be a sign of a depressive disorder.
If you can relate to any of Jen’s feelings or experiences, the counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Counseling in Lexington, KY can help. Our mental health professionals are here to provide you with the tools you need to overcome depression and regain control of your life. Call us today to schedule your first appointment, and you may be able to meet with a provider in as little as 24 to 48 hours.
Recognizing Different Causes and Types of Depression
Everyone may experience depression in different ways. However, depression almost always affects the way you think and feel. Depression can interfere with your ability to work, eat, sleep, study, or enjoy life. Simply trying to get through a typical day can be overwhelming for people with depression.
Depression is a complex mental health condition, as are the factors that cause it. Genetics, biology, or substance abuse often play a part in the development of depression. Situational factors such as dealing with loss over a loved one or experiencing a stressful life event can also contribute to depressive disorders.
Some of the most common forms of depression include:
- Persistent Depressive Disorder: This disorder describes people who have experienced depression for two years or longer. Symptoms may vary and can come or go at various intervals over weeks or months.
- Major Depressive Disorder: This mood disorder causes symptoms such as persistent feelings of sadness for two weeks or longer. Symptoms may be physical, psychological, or both and often interfere with your ability to lead a normal life.
- Postpartum Depression: This is a form of depression that occurs during pregnancy or after childbirth. It can lead to a mixture of emotional and behavioral changes and may affect your ability to care for yourself or your baby.
- Seasonal affective disorder: SAD is a form of depression during specific times of the year, often fall and winter. Changes in daylight can disrupt your circadian rhythm and lead to changes that cause depressive symptoms.
If you think you may be experiencing any of these types of depression, consider reaching out to our Thriveworks Counseling in Lexington, KY. We are here to help you feel better and regain control of your life.
Can Depression Counseling Help Me?
It is not always easy to identify depression on your own. Working with a mental health professional can help you determine whether you’re experiencing depression and find the treatment that best suits you.
Treating depression is possible with the help of a mental health professional, who may recommend medication, psychotherapy, or a combination of treatments. Your treatment will depend on your diagnoses, symptoms, personality, and other factors. A licensed provider may recommend talk therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), interpersonal therapy, or a combination of therapy styles.
Some benefits of depression counseling include:
- Learning to respond to a crisis
- Identifying issues that contribute to your depression
- Changing behaviors that worsen symptoms
- Regaining a sense of control in your life
- Developing healthy relationships
- Creating long term coping mechanisms
The therapists and counselors at Thriveworks in Lexington, KY will work with you every step of the way to help you manage and overcome depression. We’re ready to help when you’re ready to get started.
Meet With a Therapist at Thriveworks in Lexington, KY
Although depression can cause feelings of loneliness, you don’t have to face depression on your own. The team of providers at Thriveworks Counseling in Lexington, KY is here to help you get on track to living a happier, more fulfilling life.
We offer a variety of client benefits to our clients, including evening and weekend appointments, a flexible cancellation policy, online counseling opportunities, and exclusive online video content.
If you are ready to regain control of your mental health, Thriveworks can help. Call our office in Lexington, KY today or visit our online booking system to schedule your first appointment. You can leave your depression behind and get more out of life –– let Thriveworks show you how.