Therapy for Anxiety Disorders—Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf) Anxiety Therapy
We all feel anxious every now and then. We worry about an impromptu meeting with our manager; we worry about our plane taking off and landing safely; we worry about how tough conversations with our loved ones will go. But some of us experience anxious thoughts and feelings more than others and to a higher degree.
You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.”
–Martin Luther King
Anxiety disorders are the most common form of mental illness. There are literally 300 million people who have an anxiety disorder. So, if you’re experiencing symptoms, don’t worry. You’re in good company, of which has found effective treatment for their anxiety—and you can find this relief too.
If you have anxiety, consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf). We’ll provide therapy and treatment that makes sense for you. Contact our office to schedule an appointment or hear more about what we offer.
Anxiety Disorders: PTSD, OCD, Generalized Anxiety, and More
There is a multitude of anxiety disorders out there that might explain why you’re feeling, thinking, or behaving a certain way. For example, generalized anxiety is characterized by that day to day anxious thinking, while social anxiety is characterized by those anxious thoughts and feelings you might experience in social situations.
Here is a shortlist of common anxiety disorders and a little about each:
- Generalized anxiety disorder: As we just explained, generalized anxiety is characterized by anxiety one experiences on a day to day basis in many different scenarios.
- Social anxiety disorder: Social anxiety disorder is marked by anxiety one experiences in social situations. Some people with social anxiety feel anxious in any and all social engagements, while others experience social anxiety in more specific scenarios, like when they are public speaking.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: This disorder, often called OCD, is characterized by obsessive thoughts and fears as well as compulsive behaviors. Many people with OCD have a fear of germs or are compelled to arrange things in a certain way.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: This disorder, shortened to PTSD, occurs after an individual has experienced a traumatic event. Specific triggers often bring unwanted memories as well as anxious thoughts and fears back to the individual. On top of anxiety, symptoms include irritability, hostility, hypervigilance, and flashbacks.
These disorders can make day to day functioning difficult and/or unenjoyable. If you are experiencing any anxiety symptoms, please talk to a professional and get the help that you need. Thriveworks Counseling in Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf) would be happy to set you up with one of our anxiety experts.
Anxiety Treatment: What Will Help Me?
There is good news here: Anxiety is a highly treatable mental illness. There are a couple of forms of treatment that prove effective—therapy and medication—but self-care techniques can help, too! Let’s talk a little about each:
- Anxiety therapy: Therapy for anxiety often involves cognitive behavioral therapy, as this approach to counseling helps one better understand and correct their negative thinking, of which contributes to anxiety. For example, someone with social anxiety might benefit from changing false, negative thoughts that others judge or dislike them.
- Medication for anxiety disorders: Medication can help people with anxiety, too. To be more specific, antidepressants are commonly used to help people relieve their anxiety symptoms.
- Self-care: As is always true, self-care is important here. You can learn to relieve and manage your anxiety using self-care practices, like journaling, deep breathing, exercising, and so on.
When it comes down to it, it’s all about what works for you. Some people find that anxiety therapy is all they need to manage their anxiety; others benefit more from medication; and others need a combination of all three of the treatments listed above.
If you’re suffering from anxiety, Thriveworks Counseling in Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf) can assist you. We can help you figure out what’s going on and what can help you feel better.
Schedule Anxiety Help at Thriveworks Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf)
Thriveworks Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf) is here to help. We have counselors and psychologists on staff who specialize in diagnosing and treating anxiety. Our providers are caring, compassionate, and they truly have your best interest in mind. We can assure you that they would do everything they can to help you manage your anxiety and get to a healthier, happier place.
To schedule a session with one of our anxiety therapists or psychologists, call Thriveworks Lawrenceville, GA (Sugarloaf) at (770) 284-9027.