The author Matt Haig once stated, “Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, you are not the rain.” People sometimes hear the term “mood disorder” and think something’s wrong with them. This is simply not the case. Depression is like a glitch in your brain that can override your normal emotions and functioning, but it’s not you. You are not your diagnosis. Millions of people experience depression every year, and most of them recover. You can be one of those people who puts depression behind you.
Depression counseling at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA is a safe and reliable way to talk through your symptoms of depression and get help developing a treatment plan that will work for you. Depression counseling might include talk therapy, psychiatric medications, substance abuse counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), or something else. Each course of depression treatment at Thriveworks is geared toward the individual, not just the mental health condition.
What Are Mood Disorders?
Mood disorders are mental health conditions like depression and bipolar disorder (manic depression) that can cause extreme affect (feelings) due to environmental, genetic, and neurochemical factors. Mood disorders can occur in children, teens, and adults alike, though symptoms can vary between populations. Mood disorders are best treated under the specialized advice of a mental health professional like a psychiatrist or psychologist. If left untreated, mood disorders can negatively affect one’s health and daily functioning.
What Are the Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder?
Clinical depression or major depressive disorder (MDD) is classified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as having the following symptoms:
- A depressed mood (profound feelings of sadness and negativity) enduring longer than two weeks
- Loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities (anhedonia)
- Changes in appetite, often leading to unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Extreme fatigue and exhaustion
- Extreme feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Problems with concentration, attention, and/or memory
- Suicidality (if you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately)
But not every depression symptom is in the DSM, as the mental health providers at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA are well aware. Sometimes people with cases of depression also experience the following:
- Irritability, which depressed men experience more than women
- Substance abuse or addiction, which can be a sign that someone is having difficulty coping
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Changes in libido (sex drive)
- Social isolation and avoidance
- Physical aches and pains
- Concurrent anxiety and depression
Are Any of the Types of Depression Lifelong?
Treating depression and preventing depression might be a lifelong endeavor because depressive episodes can sometimes return, but depression itself does not need to endure. Different types of depression may last for different time periods. For example, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) may run its course through the winter months. But dysthymia (aka persistent depressive disorder or PDD) is by definition a long-term mental health condition, lasting two years or more. But with treatment from depression counselors at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA, those forms of depression and the others below can be effectively managed:
- Mild or major depression
- Manic depression (bipolar disorder)
- Postpartum depression (PPD) or perinatal depression (PND)
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Situational depression
- Psychotic depression
How Can Counseling Help Depression?
Counseling can help depression in numerous ways. It can retrain the brain to make new neural pathways and literally rewire your thinking patterns. It can also help you recognize the origins of your depression and how you can help prevent future episodes. The top-rated depression counselors at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA might use any of the following treatments to help clients overcome their depression:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy, a type of CBT
- Supportive therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Holistic treatments like meditation and muscle relaxation
- Mindfulness therapy
- Family therapy or couples therapy
- Lifestyle modifications
- Psychosocial interventions
- Behavioral activation
- Psychiatric medications like antidepressants, prescribed by a Thriveworks psychiatrist
Find Exceptional Treatment for Depression at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA
You can find a therapist who can help you overcome your depression by calling Thriveworks in La Habra, CA. Most new clients can meet with their provider within 24-48 hours of their initial call. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA are recruited from the top 4% of mental health providers in the area. And they also accept most major forms of health insurance coverage. This means that Thriveworks clients get premium care at great prices. As an additional enrollment benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Don’t let depression negatively impact your life more than it has already. Call Thriveworks today to get matched to an exceptional therapist.