The journalist Mignon McLaughlin once stated, “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” This isn’t the same thing as keeping passion alive or reigniting a flame again and again. Falling in love many times with the same person can mean developing a deeper and deeper understanding of that person. And it can mean honing your own compassion so the more you discover about another person, the more you discover about yourself. It’s pretty phenomenal and it happens all the time in enduring relationships. Bonds deepen and grow even through marital conflict because conflict can lead to enhanced mutual understanding.
Couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA aims to find that sweet spot between conflict and the strengthening of love. Couples don’t always come to relationship counseling because of conflict. Sometimes they come just for simple maintenance or to learn communication skills. But under the compassionate, insightful guidance and leadership of a Thriveworks marriage counselor, couples in conflict can potentially find their way toward loving enlightenment.
How Does Couples Counseling Work?
Couples counseling works differently for every couple, depending on what they want and need. In fact, one of the first things a couples counselor will ask is what the clients’ goals are. At Thriveworks in La Habra, CA, clients might arrive with any of the following relationship therapy objectives:
- To feel more loved.
- To feel more appreciated.
- To model healthier relationships for children.
- To feel like friends again.
- To reignite a spark.
- To discuss physical intimacy.
- To reduce tension and conflict in the household.
- To stop repeating the same argument.
- To create healthy boundaries.
- To express sensitive needs and desires in a safe space.
- To heal after an affair, or talk about fidelity.
- To address various intimacy issues.
- To cope with empty nest syndrome or a midlife crisis.
- To identify individual mental health conditions and find support.
- To process trauma together.
- To cope with the loss of a loved one.
Do Unmarried Couples Go to Counseling?
Unmarried couples who plan to marry might do what’s called premarital counseling. This is a therapy service that can help couples iron out the potential kinks in a relationship before the wedding. The licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA also work with couples who are domestic partners, co-parents, and even friends (friendship therapy). Every relationship can benefit from better communication and the insights of an expert.
What Are the Best Marriage Therapy Approaches?
The licensed professional mental health providers at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA who focus on relationships and marriages usually approach couples therapy through one of the following modalities:
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT), which focuses on attachment and resilience
- Behavioral couples therapy (BCT), which can be especially helpful for couples dealing with substance abuse or problematic behaviors
- The Gottman method, which aims to improve communication and intimacy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which can identify and modify a couple’s interpretations of each other that can lead to conflict and misunderstanding
What Can Couples Therapy Help With?
Couples therapy at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA can address very specific issues between couples, but in broad strokes relationship therapy might seek to do the following:
- Facilitate communication
- Enhance understanding
- Advance mutual trust
- Manage emotions
- Resolve conflicts
- Manage addiction or substance abuse
- Teach coping strategies
How Do I Choose the Best Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor?
To choose the best provider for marriage counseling or family therapy, you should first outline some basic criteria:
- The counselor should be fully licensed in California. (All Thriveworks mental health providers are fully licensed in their respective states.)
- The therapist should have experience treating the issue that you and your loved one need help with. (At Thriveworks, counselors help all kinds of clients: interracial, LGBTQ, Christian, and many more.)
- The therapist should be affordable. (Thriveworks LMFTs in La Habra, CA accept most major health insurance plans and offer competitive self-pay rates for people paying out-of-pocket.)
- Therapy sessions should be convenient and comfortable. (Thriveworks marriage counselors offer both online counseling sessions as well as traditional, in-person counseling sessions.)
Renew Your Bonds with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA
The great counselors at Thriveworks in La Habra, CA are selected from the top 4% of providers in the area. This enables Thriveworks clients to receive the best mental health care at the best rates. They can also get seen quickly. Most new Thriveworks clients meet with their licensed counselor online or in-person within 24-48 hours of their initial call.
To make an appointment, you can call the Thriveworks office during extended business hours or book online. You and your spouse might not have all the answers now, but Thriveworks can give you the individualized insights you need to clarify who you are and what your relationship means. Call today!