Therapy for Anxiety Disorders in Kansas City, MO
Anxiety can make you feel overwhelmed. It comes with racing thoughts, uncontrollable worry, and other symptoms that make day to day life difficult as well as unenjoyable.
Some people develop generalized anxiety disorder, which means that they experience symptoms of anxiety in a wide range of scenarios. Others, though, develop social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and other anxiety disorders that are triggered by more specific events.
If you are struggling with anxious thoughts or feelings in your everyday life or you’re suffering from symptoms of a specific anxiety disorder, it’s important that you talk to a mental health professional. A therapist who specializes in treating anxiety can assess your symptoms, offer coping techniques, and also help you reduce your anxiety.
Thriveworks Counseling in Kansas City, MO is proud to offer therapy for anxiety. If you think you could benefit, please consider reaching out. We can set you up with an anxiety therapist in-person or online, as soon as today or tomorrow.
Different Types of Anxiety: Which One Do I Have?
As we started to explain above, there are different types of anxiety. Some people experience day to day anxiety about a range of events, while others experience anxiety in social situations, as a result of trauma, and so on.
Here’s some information about a few common types of anxiety:
- Generalized anxiety disorder: This is the anxiety that many people think of. It’s characterized by excessive, persistent worry about many different things, from work to family, money, and other areas.
- Social anxiety disorder: This kind of anxiety is experienced in social situations. The sufferer might feel anxious in any and all social environments or more specific social situations like when meeting new people or public speaking.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD): OCD is defined by excessive thoughts that cause repetitive behaviors or compulsions. Many people with OCD have obsessive thoughts about germs and feel compelled to clean.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD can develop after one experiences a traumatic event. A key characteristic of this condition is anxiety and fear.
If you think that you might have one of the above anxiety disorders, don’t worry. We understand that it can be frightening, but we also know that anxiety treatment can help. You can work with one of our anxiety therapists today to manage your specific anxiety disorder.
How Can Therapy for Anxiety Help Me?
Therapy helps people manage their mental health problems. Therapy for anxiety helps people address, understand, and manage their anxious thoughts and feelings. A common approach to anxiety therapy is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which focuses on identifying and correcting unhelpful thoughts.
A few common goals in anxiety therapy include:
- Identifying and correcting those unhelpful thoughts and thinking patterns
- Understanding any underlying causes of anxiety or fear
- Learning how to cope and relax when you have anxious thoughts and feelings
- Developing self-care techniques that can help improve overall wellbeing
- Reduce anxiety overall
If you are feeling anxious, please don’t hesitate to talk to a counselor about it. The sooner you receive professional help, the quicker you can find relief.
Thriveworks Counseling in Kansas City, MO is here to offer personalized help for your specific anxiety disorder and symptoms. If you’re ready to start therapy for anxiety today, we’re ready too.
Schedule an Appointment for Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks in Kansas City, MO
Thriveworks Counseling helps thousands of people just like you every single day. The mental health problems and life issues that you or I might experience are many. Our Thriveworks team is made up of skilled, caring mental health professionals who can help with anxiety and many other challenges.
On top of the skills and level of care that our counselors bring to the table, Thriveworks offers many premium counseling benefits. These serve to improve the overall client experience. For example, we offer our clients:
- Online counseling opportunities
- Flexible daytime and evening sessions
- Weekend appointments
- 23.5-hour cancellations
- Text support via our Success Navigator
- Free, exclusive mental health resources
If you’d like to receive the benefits above (and more), schedule your anxiety therapy appointment at Thriveworks today. We look forward to meeting you and offering a personalized plan for treatment.