Have you ever felt unusually down with no motivation to do anything? Has that lack of motivation caused you to feel anxious about the uncertainty of the future?
Have you ever been so anxious that you stayed home in avoidance? Has that caused you to fall into a pit of despair, feeling worthless and overwhelmed?
If you’ve ever felt like this, chances are you’re suffering from anxiety and/or depression. These are two of the most common mental illnesses around the world. Still, people aren’t sure what to do to cope with the feelings associated with anxiety and depression. In a lot of cases, people assume that these feelings are only temporary and will pass on their own. However, it’s not as simple as that. Often, it takes a professional’s help to manage and heal from these illnesses.
I wish people could understand that the brain is the most important organ of our body. Just because you can’t see mental illness like you could see a broken bone, doesn’t mean that it’s not as detrimental or devastating to a family or an individual.” – Demi Lovato
If you think that you have depression and/or anxiety, understand that help in overcoming them is readily available. The depression therapists and anxiety therapists at Thriveworks Counseling in Jackson, MS have the training and experience to help you start making meaningful progress in managing your illness(es) and improving your mental health as soon as tomorrow. Ready to start? Give our office a call
Anxiety and Depression: What Do They Consist of?
Maybe you went through something traumatic, or perhaps you just have had a build-up of difficult emotions over the years. The reasons why we develop mental illnesses like depression and anxiety are vast. In some instances, you might develop depression after struggling with anxiety for some time. And vice versa. Regardless of how or why you developed these conditions, it’s important to understand what you have in order to get the proper treatment based on your specific needs.
Different types of depression that can manifest in someone’s life include:
- Major Depressive Disorder: This is the most well-known form of depression. Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder include feelings of despair, emptiness, hopelessness, insomnia or hypersomnia, lack of interest in previously enjoyable activities, and suicidal thoughts or actions. To be diagnosed with this disorder, you must have symptoms for at least two weeks.
- Minor Depression: Minor Depression has the same symptoms and signs as Major Depressive Disorder, it’s just less severe and not as persistent.
- Bipolar Disorder: This disorder is characterized by extreme mood swings between depression and mania. Manic symptoms can include risky behavior in your personal and professional life. These spouts of energy are described as euphoric.
Along with different variations of depression, there are different types of anxiety as well. Symptoms of anxiety can include excessive worry, restlessness, shortness of breath, fatigue, changes in sleeping habits, and more. Different types of anxiety include:
- Social Anxiety Disorder: As the name implies, this form of anxiety is brought on by social situations. Someone may feel anxious when speaking on the phone, presenting during a meeting, or attending a gathering with strangers.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Generalized Anxiety Disorder is one of the most common forms of anxiety, which can be brought on by many different stressors. This can be anything from fear of running late, meeting deadlines, getting into new relationships, and more.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Also known as PTSD, this form of anxiety is induced by a traumatic event. Traumatic events that could potentially cause PTSD includes sexual assault, emotional abuse, deployment to a warzone, neglect, natural disasters, and more.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Jackson, MS our depression and anxiety counselors understand how difficult these mental illnesses can be. They want you to know that you don’t have to experience these things alone. Your Thriveworks therapist will be by your side every step of the way, providing you with the support and guidance you need to tackle your problems.
Manage Your Depression and Anxiety at Thriveworks Counseling in Jackson, MS
Are you ready to learn how to manage your stressors and overcome them? You’re in the right place. Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Jackson, MS, our team members dedicate themselves to providing you with the tools and resources to do just that. We are focused on providing you with comprehensive client care every step of the way.
When you’re ready, give our office a call or visit our online booking system. One of our scheduling specialists will help you find a time that best suits you. We offer online counseling, evening and weekend sessions, next-day appointments, and no waitlist. Our team members can’t wait to meet you and start helping you thrive!