How to Deal with Addiction – Therapists and Counselors in Burlington MA
There are many theories as to why addiction levels are so high in America and appear to be getting higher year after year. For many people times are tough out there and they are hurting. Oftentimes the people see the only way to get some relief is through drink or drugs; or even through shopping, sex, or pornography. Something just to take them away from life’s hardships—just for a little while. Our Burlington MA Addiction counselors see this every day, and they see these attempts at relief turn into something far more dependent and dangerous. Left unchecked, many people can find what was once a bit of fun is now a full addiction and they desperately need help.
Do You Need Help?
If you’re feeling that control is slipping away from you, then yes you probably need help. Other signs include:
- You’re hiding your habit away from friends, colleagues and loved ones. You feel embarrassed about your habit and so now practice it mostly in private
- You spend more and more of your time involved in your habit. If you’re not actually doing it, you’re thinking about doing it or when you can do it. These thoughts take over more and more aspects of your life
- You need more of it all the time. You find that your tolerance level is rising.
Identifying with any of the above signs is definitely a red flag and it’s so important that if you do, you know you have options and that you’re not alone. The risks of ignoring your addiction, especially if it’s a physical one—to drugs or alcohol—can literally mean death. Even aside from that, addicts risk losing everything to their addiction: their homes, jobs, families, health—everything.
Once you have made the decision to get help, that’s the hard part done! The rest is easy. Our Burlington MA addiction counselors will steer you through the process of becoming well again. Part of that process will include:
- Group therapy
- One-on-one individual therapy
- Family or couple’s therapy.
Therapy is one of the best ways to “reset” your brain in order to combat addiction, alongside other treatments and possible medications that you might need. Please contact us today for more information on how we can help you.