There’s nothing more freeing than being unapologetically you. But in a world that often oppresses people who fit outside the standard narrative, being yourself can often seem impossible when you’re lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or questioning.
That’s why it’s important we create and maintain spaces that are accepting of all people. To do that, we have to ensure that our businesses are staffed with open-hearted individuals who empathize with experiences that may be outside of their own.
At Thriveworks, we employ a team of therapists, counselors, psychologists, and other mental health providers who care about the particular concerns and challenges of the LGBTQ+ community. No matter what your identity or concerns may be, we’re pleased to offer you our support. To set up an appointment and address your individual needs, please call us at Thriveworks in Bedford, NH.
When Is it Time To Seek Counseling?
We often have a tendency to grin and bear our struggles but doing so can push us to a breaking point. You don’t have to face those struggles on your own.
When we think of LGBTQ+ issues, certain topics such as gender identity and sexual orientation may come to mind. But the truth is, mental health providers work with LGBTQ+ individuals on a range of topics. These topics can include:
- Career-planning services
- Family communication
- Relationships and dating
- Child-rearing practices
- Abuse and trauma
- Depression and anxiety
- Safety and security
- Addiction and substance abuse
- Eating disorders and body dysmorphia
- Loss and grief counseling
- Coming out concerns
- Harassment and bullying
Our specialists also offer services that address issues transgender individuals may face. Even if your issue isn’t listed here, our team can still work with you to cover a wide range of additional topics. Speaking to a therapist, counselor, or another professional can feel like a big step but we’re here to help you each step of the way. To get started, simply give us a call at Thriveworks in Bedford, NH. We’d love to have a session with you.
What Can LGBTQ+ Counseling Do for Me?
Counseling and therapy come with many emotional and mental health benefits. While many people speak to therapists and counselors to restore balance to their life, others speak with mental health professionals to add clarity, work through problems, and mitigate future concerns.
For the LGBTQ+ community, counseling or therapy can serve as a way to address a variety of systematic and personal issues. Some of the ways therapy can help you may include:
- Transcending gender roles: Even lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning individuals often fall back on heteronormative modes of thought when it comes to gender roles. Undoing years of social training can take time, but a licensed mental health professional can help you address any outstanding issues you have with preconceived gender roles.
- Discussing your gender identity with family: Many families — even supportive ones — can use guidance when it comes to accepting and understanding gender identity. Your therapist can use family or individual therapy to address everything from accidental misgendering to combating outdated gender expectations.
- Managing issues in the workplace: Navigating the workplace can often feel especially hazardous when you’re a member of the LGBTQ+ community, especially if you don’t have supportive leadership. A counselor, therapist, or another mental health professional can teach you how to advocate for yourself and your rights while keeping your mental health your primary focus.
The exact issues you discuss and your exact treatment plan will depend on the type of counseling you seek and the specific issues you’re facing. Your provider may perform therapy such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), family therapy, or interpersonal therapy as part of your plan.
To receive treatment, reach out to us at Thriveworks in Bedford, NH. We can get started as soon as you’re ready.
Begin LGBTQ+ Counseling at Thriveworks in Bedford, NH
It can feel nearly impossible to open up to others when you don’t feel safe. That’s why we strive to create supportive, welcoming offices staffed with compassionate professionals. Our only mission is to provide you with the quality care and attention you deserve. Your experiences and your health are important to us, and no topic is off-limits.
You can schedule in-person, traditional therapy appointments or remote therapy sessions, whichever is more convenient for you. We offer weekend and evening sessions and have offices with early opening hours and late closing hours. Should you need help between sessions, your provider can be reached by phone or email.
To lessen your stress, we accept a variety of insurance plans and offer a generous cancellation policy. If you need additional support, you can view our videos and eBooks online or leave a question for our virtual life coach.
LGBTQ+ issues are important to us at Thriveworks in Bedford, NH. If you’d like to connect with a passionate provider, give us a call today to schedule an appointment.