Rebecca loved going to therapy. She was naturally curious about psychology and human behavior, and she was always striving for self-improvement. Therapy was a great place to explore the underlying psychological patterns in her daily life and relationships. Rebecca’s weekly sessions with a therapist had helped her grow as an individual, as a wife, and as a mother. But then she got a job in the country and had to relocate her family, far away from any mental health clinic or resource, and she despaired of losing the consistent support of a counselor. Rebecca had heard of online mental health services, but she didn’t know if they were secure and if the counselors were of the same high caliber that she was used to. How could she continue to get the quality support that she needed?
Fortunately, Rebecca reached out to an online counselor at the Thriveworks office in Taylorsville, UT. At Thriveworks, our counselors and other mental health providers are fully licensed and rated at the top of their fields. They can deliver the same face-to-face, effective therapeutic treatment virtually as they can in-person. When we do everything else online these days, including school and work, maybe it’s time to try online counseling as well.
Does Online Therapy Work?
Online therapy can be just as effective as in-person therapy. Peer-reviewed research studies have shown time and time again that individuals can reap the same benefits from therapy conducted virtually, via secure video connection, as they can from therapy conducted in a professional office or clinic. Many individuals even prefer online therapy at Thriveworks because it…
- Can save time and money because you often don’t have to take off work, hire babysitters, or drive to a new location in order to attend your sessions.
- Can offer more scheduling options, like evenings and weekends.
- Allows individuals to open up emotionally in their own familiar surroundings.
- Doesn’t require you to sit in a waiting room.
- Is conducted over a secure, private connection enabled by top-of-the-line telehealth technology.
- Allows you to make your sessions even if you’re traveling for business or pleasure.
- Allows you and your therapist to make your sessions even if you have colds and are worried about being contagious.
- Allows you to talk to a counselor even if you’re suffering from acute symptoms of anxiety or depression, making it difficult to leave the house.
- Helps people in rural communities access the mental health services they deserve.
What Can an Online Counselor Treat?
Unless you’re under 18 or suffering from acute symptoms of mental illness, a counselor at Thriveworks in Taylorsville, UT can treat most life issues online as well as in-person. Evidence-based, effective therapeutic techniques like cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) can work especially well online, according to numerous research studies. Individuals come to Thriveworks to get online mental health support for a long list of issues, including the following:
- Eating disorders
- Panic disorders
- Substance abuse
- Sex or gambling addiction
- Marriage conflicts
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Attention disorders
- Midlife crises
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Trouble sleeping or staying awake
A Case Study in Online Counseling
Jeff was skeptical about online therapy when he first began virtual treatment with a licensed counselor. He didn’t know if his therapy sessions would feel as meaningful if his counselor couldn’t read the energy in the room. Would they both be able to focus? And would Jeff be able to open up from home as well as he could in the clinic?
At his first online session with a counselor, Jeff felt a little disconnected at first. Then his cat Freckles jumped into his lap and Jeff began stroking his fur while he talked face-to-face with his counselor via his computer monitor. Softly petting his cat reminded Jeff of a pet dog he’d had as a child, and he began to tell his therapist the story about that dog, which brought up a lot of strong feelings about his childhood. The comfort and familiarity of the online session had been an access point for Jeff’s emotional honesty. It’s not unusual for that kind of magic to happen in online counseling sessions.
Meet Your Exceptional Online Counselor at Thriveworks in Taylorsville, UT Now
You no longer have to skip helpful therapy sessions because they’re out of your way or inconvenient. Thriveworks makes it easy to book an online counseling session that suits your busy schedule in Taylorsville, UT. When you make your initial appointment, you can often get in to see a counselor within 24-48 hours. And Thriveworks clients receive additional benefits like free educational resources. Call today to find out what we offer and get started with your highly qualified, licensed, online counselor.