Depression Counseling in Sioux Falls, SD
Depression is one of the most common mental disorders that affects millions of American adults every year. With such a large amount of the population being affected by this difficult mental disorder, it’s important to understand and recognize what their symptoms are so you can get the help you need as soon as possible. You may not even realize that you’re suffering from this challenge. Consider these questions:
- How often do you feel like you’ve lost control of your life and future?
- How often do you feel like you’ve lost interest in most, or all, of the things and activities that you used to find enjoyable?
- How often do you feel trapped with no options?
- Do you feel hopeless and worthless?
If you experience the above feelings often you may be battling depression. This mental challenge is not something you can “just get over.” Nothing feels right and you can’t seem to find relief. No matter the reason for your symptoms, there is help available to you. At Thriveworks Counseling in Sioux Falls, we have passionate depression counselors who are trained and ready to provide you with the help and relief you have been searching for. When you are ready to take the next step, just give us a call.
What Are Depression Symptoms? Do I Have Depression?
The hard part about depression is that the symptoms can vary from person to person, in presentation and severity. For example, one person might experience worthlessness, hopelessness, and lack of motivation. Another individual, though, might experience more physical symptoms like sleep disturbances and changes in appetite.
That being said, there are common depression symptoms that you should be aware of to better understand whether or not you might be depressed. In addition to a state of despair and disinterest in day to day activities, those who are depressed often experience the following:
- Sleep disturbances
- Changes in appetite and/or weight
- Isolation or withdrawal from others
- Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness
- Lack of focus or concentration
- Substance abuse and/or addiction
- Irritability, moodiness
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
If you think you might be depressed or at risk of becoming depressed, please consider talking to a mental health professional. This is especially true if you have been experiencing two or more of the symptoms above for two or more weeks now. It’s important that you work with a counselor before your depression worsens. We have depression therapists, counselors, and psychologists here at Thriveworks Counseling in Sioux Falls who would be happy to help.
Do I Need Depression Counseling? How Can It Help Me?
Your time in counseling will depend on your exact presentation of symptoms as well as your goals for therapy. Talk therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, psychological assessment, and management techniques are all examples of therapeutic resources your depression counselor might use during your sessions.
In addition, your depression counselor will ask you about the level of self-care you engage in, which is just as important to this journey as the work you complete during your time talking to your counselor. Self-care is all about performing activities that you enjoy and that benefit your mental health. The following are a few common practices that prove beneficial:
- Exercising (running, doing yoga, hiking, lifting weights, walking your dog)
- Painting, drawing, or exploring your creative abilities
- Meditating or practicing mindfulness
- Spending time with a friend or family member
- Learning new and healthy recipes to try
It’s okay if none of these items appeal to you. The key is to find activities that you care about and enjoy. This might mean going to the gym or hiking on a trail, or it might mean kicking back with your friends at your favorite restaurant. Your counselor can help you find an activity or even a routine of self-care that works best for you.
Work With a Depression Counselor at Thriveworks in Sioux Falls, SD
Everyone experiences depression differently, so everyone should experience counseling differently too. At Thriveworks in Sioux Falls, you are valued for being you. Nothing that is affecting you is too much or too little for us to handle. That’s because we are dedicated to providing client-focused, accessible care.
When you choose to work with us, you can experience:
- Evening and weekend sessions
- Flexible cancellations within 23.5-hours of your appointment time
- Never being put on a waitlist
- Having access to your provider between sessions as needed
- Online counseling options including video chats and phone calls
- Exclusive video content and e-books with helpful information
Depression doesn’t have to hold you back from living the life you want any longer. When you’re ready, we are here to help you take back control and live the life you deserve. Just give us a call.